Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default why do I work with children???

I work with children in their homes. I don't help my client to the bathroom, but I do have to do many physical tasks for her, such as feeding her. I always get saliva on my hands, and sometimes, like today, I wipe it off on my pants before I get a chance to wash my hands. I've also gotten more lax about my handwashing habits as part of my treatment, sometimes going without washing my hands before eating them. I literally was just putting the tip of my finger in my mouth when I was texted that my client has a "stomach bug." I left her house at 1:00 PM today, and she seemed fine, although I noticed she didn't ask for lunch, although she did have breakfast and asked for chocolate around her normal lunchtime. I got the text at 4:40 PM. I'm terrified. Is there any chance I won't get sick or is it just a waiting game now?

Default Re: why do I work with children???

First off congrats on not letting your anxiety stop you from working with kids! I babysat for a while and finally quit partly from my phobia (there was a lot of close calls). But as far as I know it's not spread in saliva. Kids get sick a lot easier than adults too and she didn't have D or V while you were there so I say don't worry about it. And if you do end up getting it you will be able to handle it. It's great that you're working to get rid of your fear!

Thank you so much!!

I agree with farminggirl. Noro is only in your saliva after you v*, it is mostly in d* and v* particles when you are actively sick and as you are recovering until it drops to a safe level. I think you dodged a bullet today, by not being there when it started.

So what happens when I go back to work? How do I protect myself?

I want to share a story about the last time I had noro -

I have a sister who has special needs - she has a traumatic brain injury and is completely dependent on others for her daily needs. I was spending time with her one night when my parents were at a wedding. We went out to dinner and while there my sister was complaining that one of her braces was bothering her... it was one near the back of her mouth. I had to reach my hands into her mouth to try to see what was going on. It was one near the back too, so my hands were reaching back. After dinner that night, when we got home I started feeling off... within 1-2 hours I knew for sure I had a bug. I remember telling my mom, almost apologetically about how I had my hands in my sisters mouth before I knew I was sick and now she might get it too. She never did.

I learned more about virus transmission after that, mostly that it doesn't spread until after people start having symptoms of vomiting or diarrhea. So just try to remember that whenever you're in a similar situation - if the person has been asymptomatic, they're not spreading the virus.

As far as protecting yourself in the upcoming days - hand washing, and a little extra cleaning/wiping things down should be sufficient. Keep an eye on what your client touches, puts in her mouth, etc, and then just discreetly wipe it down after. No need to go super crazy, cleaning mode but just normal cleaning procedures. Wash both of your hands after using the bathroom or before eating, and you should be good.