Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: I have a bug.

Default I have a bug.

I've been feeling really crappy for the last two days. New Years Eve, I had a fever - really bad chills to the point of shaking but with cold sweats, and then I would burn up. I had a light headache and later on started having bad d*. Not run of the mill d* - and I'm someone who is very used to it. I didn't drink on New Years Eve - I was a designated driver.

New Years Day, I woke up feeling horrible. Just off. I was in the bathroom for 45 minutes. I put it off to my period, as it came today and this is its normal timing. But throughout the day I realize how not normal this was for me. I was having urgent liquid d* with cramping. To be honest, the n* hasn't been that bad. I had a bug last year, no v*, and the n* was a lot worse. This time my main two bothers are the cramping and d*. I was at work yesterday too - thankfully I work in retail now, not food, and my managers are great and so are my co-workers.

I tried apple sauce last night, since I hadn't eaten anything since the night before. It shot straight through me.

But I haven't v*d once. Yesterday I was panicked that I would but I didn't feel like I would. I was anxious, so it was feigning n*. I was nervous because I knew my symptoms were pretty similar to a bug and I didn't know what the outcome would be this time. But my doctor said today that although it's a common symptom, it's completely normal to not v*, even without any fight, with a bug.

He said, without even knowing about a phobia, that any v*ing would have happened already, yesterday morning likely when I woke up feeling so bad, since I'd eaten the night before. That ship has sailed - thank God. I feel tired and weak and I still have a headache, probably because of dehydration. I already have a large Zofran prescription for my tummy troubles, so my mom is getting a refill and picking me up some PediaLyte to battle the dehydration. I'm going to try some toast tonight just to hopefully stimulate my stomach into eating something.

Also interesting - my doc said that the BRAT diet really isn't backed up anymore among physicians and medical scientists. Bland foods are best but not necessarily BRAT. They won't hurt you, but won't help you either.

Just thought I would share. I'm not feeling great, but I thought I would share hopefully for some reassurance that you can have a bug and not v*. I have not been taking any meds, except I did take Dramamine to sleep last night. But my worst was yesterday morning/day, and I had no medication.

I got my period today which is a real nice treat. Stomach bug and period at same time? Ha, nice one body! So I was worried that the doctor would brush it off as that. But no, he was awesome and thorough and said that this is a classic case of gastroenteritis minus the v*ing.

YOU CAN ALL GET THROUGH THIS. Whatever it is that you're feeling right now. Deep breaths. Cold cloth on neck. Tea. Distractions. You're stronger than this stupid phobia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Default Re: I have a bug.

I think I'm on the mend today, Day 3. But unfortunately my mom has awful stomach cramps and is running to the bathroom, exactly what I dealt with. I feel really bad. My aunt had d this morning but she doesn't feel sick. For me it was stomach cramps and having to run to the bathroom. School starts up for me tomorrow - not sure if I should go or not but I think my mom will make me. I'm not throwing up, but clearly I'm still contagious in some way despite washing my hands well and I don't want anyone else to have to deal with this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

I'm sorry you've been poorly. I had a bug almost 2 weeks ago, it's no fun is it? But it's never as bad as we think it's going to be. I also hate the thought of passing on my germs to other people. Maybe have the day off tomorrow if you can.

Now I'm freaking out and second guessing myself. What if I what I have/had wasn't a bug? That's what the doctor suggested, gastroenteritis, but what if it was just a bad stomach flare up? My mom seems way worse than I was. She says she feels like she's going to be sick any minute and even asked me to bring her a bucket. My aunt seems okay right now, bit of a headache, but not the chills and cramps my mom has. I'm being totally irrational but I'm scared that I didn't have a bug and that my mom having one is coincidental and now I'll catch it and v*.

I haven't dealt with bugs throughout my house in so long. IF I've already had it, I can't catch it again from my mom, can I? I'm terrified right now. We're house sitting right now so technically I could go home and stay on my own, but that would be running away from this fear and I need to stop doing this. I also would feel bad leaving my aunt because then she would inevitably be sick if not already.

I haven't been hungry today. I was hungry when I woke up, at some toast, had some more d and didn't get hungry again. I had some arrowroot cookies and ginger ale. Nothing more and I'm not hungry, even before my mom said she felt sick. For now I'll just keep to myself downstairs and help her the best I can. I did bring her the bucket and some anti-emetics but she refuses to take any medications that alter her state of mind, aka putting her to sleep, etc.

I seriously wish there was some at-home test for noro, you know? Or any type of bug. To confirm that you do or don't have something specific. But I suppose that would be way too hard with all the strains.

Kailyn you are handling this really well. Remember what your doctor said about no v* being not so uncommon for SV. Rememeber that the range of manifestation is no sympoms to very very severe. You had it fairly bad, just luckily no v*. I agree it would be great to have an at home noro test (also for other common viruses and infections), something like a paper strip or similar to a pregnancy test or drug test. It's workable and potentially useful, question is, is it profitable? I hope you get well soon!

Thank you jkl. My mom has v*d - not really sure how many times because both her and my aunt are of course very aware of my phobia. She tried some flat ginger ale and it came right back up. She's in a ton of pain though and my aunt called our doctor's emergency line, who doesn't like how much pain she is in. My aunt wants to take her into the ER but my mom says she can't make it to the car because of the pain. It could just be a bad gastro bug but she's in so much pain and it's different from my cramping. I just went upstairs to check on her. I'm back downstairs now, feeling a little anxious and worried. If my aunt hasn't caught it yet she sure as heck will from helping my mom out. This always happens in our family. I'm just so scared and I want to run away from it all.

My mom has been sick 3 times now. She's in so much pain but still refuses to go to the ER. We're worried that it's not a bug. My aunt has taken care of her sick little sister many times and has never seen her like this. We don't know what to do. Call an ambulance and hope she takes it? I can't imagine her not accepting their help. She works in medical, and she's not denying that she's in pain that justifies a trip to the hospital. She's just refusing to go.

Hey! How is everything going now? Is your mum ok?

I hope she's feeling better! I had one time when I had noro that I had severe upper stomach pain. It was definitely something I would have considered the ER for, but I knew my 15 month old had just gotten over it. The pain went away after about 12 hours and some v*. I hope the pain is gone for your mom.

My mom took a Dramamine/Gravol and kept it down, and we think she's slept through the night. So that's definitely good. I didn't sleep well at all nor did my aunt of course as we were up listening for her and checking on her.

I woke up this morning with 100% liquid d again. I'm terrified. I know that it's normal to keep having d even after you're recovering, but the fact that there was nothing solid? But to be fair, all I've eaten in the last 2 days is some crackers, arrowroot cookies, and rice. But I was cramping again. I hate this now that my mom is v*ing I have myself convinced I'll catch it again and start v*ing. So irrational.

School is a no go today. Absolutely not. I'm not going to potentially spread this.

I was wanting to go into the pharmacy today and pick up my Zofran. But now I'm worried that I a) should stick close to the bathroom or b) am too contagious. I just don't know.