Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I think I just had a breakthrough, my little son had eaten way too much, he's 8, yes I know 8 is not 2 or 3, but it's still young. My wife was away, at work, and I was alone with the little man. He turns to me, and tells me Dad I feel very sick. I don't want to throw up alone, my nerves went in to overdrive, he started to the bathroom sniffing, and I could tell he was going to cry. (He must have felt very bad.) I was just sitting there on the couch, my stomach in knots, my palms starting to sweat, I was afraid, seriously afraid.

He come back to me, and said Dad, please help me. I wasn't thinking it was just like something come over me. I got up and walked in the bathroom with him. I have hidden my problems from my son, I never told him. He had no idea how hard this was for me. He went in our bathroom, and it wasn't a second before I made it through the door, he had his very long moment. It seemed like it lasted forever. I was grounded in one spot. He never cried. He just did his thing. I got a wash cloth, flushed the toilet, wiped his little face, andasked him if he wanted to brush his teeth. Now by this moment I am shaking, He brushes his teeth,I get a bucket and lay on the couch with him,in case of emergency.

Holding my son I felt calm,if I lost control and paced, and flipped, he would have no idea what is going on. I couldn't do that to him, he had been so brave, and then I came to a conclusion, laying here, the bathroom, everything.... I had been brave, I am so proud of myself. I accomplished something today, maybe not something massive, but a big step, I was within 3 feet of someone ill,seen it, even helped clean it up and stay around them, I was worried I would be ill, or catch a bug.

My wife came in seen the bucket, and said Oh no he saw you have one? When we discussed what happened she was so happy, she also explained to me that when Drew over eats, he gets sick, I have had dinner since then, and so far no attack, and it has been far from my mind.

Steve

That's really good the way you handled the situation If I ever had to
    do anything like that... well, it's just one of the reasons why I would
    be a terrible parent. Again, Good job
    -Anna

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] hello steve,
    i just joined this site and read your post and i have to say to you "WOW"! you are sooo brave (and on the road to recovery, i think)I dont think i'd have coped as well.
    well done mate!
    Layla

Thank you, and welcome to the board even though I am new myself, I had seen him get sick before but the wife was with me, and I was on the otherside of a doorway, I just feel great that no matter how bad this stuff breaks me down, I could fight it for my son.

Awesome. Sounds like you did a good job. Doesn't it feel great? I hope your lil guy feels better. He sounds pretty brave as well!! Well done!!

Cheers.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Congratulations, Steve! That is wonderful! You definitely should be proud of yourself, youw ere very brave, for you and your son! he has no idea what his dad just did for him and someday when he is older and able to know and understnad this phobia he will think you are as amazing as we do! BRAVO!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Great job!!!! You were there for your son when he really needed you!! That is such a step in the right direction! You should be proud of yourself!

I am so happy and proud of you. I can't imagine having
    my own kids someday and having to take care of them when they are sick,
    but it inspires me a little to hear your story- maybe I will be able to
    handle it as well as you.</font>

Good job on handleing the situation! thats definatly some progress [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    </a>

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

Wooo HOoo. That is sooooo awsome. I have a 16 month old and when he was sick the first time I was totally a mess but to see him standing there with big tears welling up in his eyes my mother instict kicked in and I was able to do what needed to be done. I panicked after. Knowing how I felt I think I know how you feel and I hope you relish in the glory of what you did. BIG step.

WTG!!!!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]</TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Steve thats great to here that u have been able to take care of your son when he felt his worse and mop his brow..........A BIG PAT ON THE BACK FOR U!!!!! U should be really proud of yourself as even thou it's a natural thing to do ,look after your kids,but when it comes to being sick it's very difficult for us.i know when i was a nanny i was always worried about the kids feeling or being sick............I hope he is feeling better and u are ok...

Take care vicky x

Well done Steve. You have achieved something really great there and do not let yourself forget that. I cannot even imagine how you coped with it but i guess you did because you had to. If you can do it I am sure we all can too! I bet yesterday you would never have seen yourself in the position you found yourself today. Take it as a very positive step Steve. I am proud of you as I am sure everyone else is on this site who has read your experience.

FONT=Arial]Well done. U should feel so so proud of
    urself - think of what uv achieved this is HUGE! I have
    so much respect for u!

Rachel xxx</font>

i just wanna join the others in saying... you certainly achieved a lot in tht one day... its great what you did. im sure your son was so very grateful.

Jen xxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Way to go, Steve!

You are SO AWESOME!

Being able to put the feelings of your child before your own fear is wonderful and admirable. I don't think I was ever able to be that calm the whole time I was raising my kids (they are now adults).

If you can do what you did with your son, you can do anything! You should be very proud of your accomplishment. Just don't ever forget how you stepped up to the plate and did not let your fear take control. You will be able to do it again and again. You are that much closer to recovery. What a positive post for all of us to read.
    Debbie

Well I just wanted to say thank you all very much for everything you said, I just think I might have found my first stepping stone, as the night progressed I did have a very small scare, but it was over very quickly. I just couldn't let him down, and I think maybe if I focus a tad on being there for my son, and my wife, and draw from whatever that moment came from, I could actually find a very postive way to cope. I have no idea what happened, and believe me when I tell myself what I did, I am kinda stunned, because believe me, a v scare for me is horrendous (I'm sure every single person here knows what that can do to us, and I know I don't have to explain.) I watched him, I seen it, and instead and running and hiding from the sick, which I normally do. I just couldn't do it.

I really hope everyone who reads this, and every person on here, thatgave me the kind words. Ihope, no scratch that, I pray you guys have as moment like I did, for the first time in a long time, I felt in control, and it felt great. Things have settled down andIstill take my food slowly over time,but I feel really good.

Steve that's great to hear that u have reconised that what u did was a big progress,as alot of people, i.e myself ,when u have achieved something u don't give yourself enough praise for it and i'm also glad to c that u are eating a little each day,keep it up steve and i can feel how proud u are and i can c that your family means so much to u !!!!! Take care vicky xx