Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Mercury Poisoning/Hypochondria

So I was vegetarian for about 1 1/2 years. I went pescetarian in April. I seem to be a lot of fish since I've changed my diet and I have forgotten about all the other proteins I used to eat when I was just veg. I have started a new job that has become a major stress in my life since my manager is horrible and the job is very demanding. I know that me not feeling 100 % most of the time is probably due to the anxiety I get from work but I am also a huge hypochondriac and I am now thinking of all these different diseases I could be getting now since I haven't really been taking care of my body. One of which mercury poisoning from eating way too much fish particularly tuna. I try and not eat it every single day but it seems to be every other day which is still a lot. I eat sushi/sashimi tuna which I know has the highest mercury count. I guess I'm just really scared I could be giving myself mercury poisoning and I am having a lot of anxiety over it. On top of that my diet has been very poor in terms of fat, salt and carbs. I work in a mall and I just seem to be relying on convenience and not what is good for me. So I have been buying take out a lot in the past 4 months I've had this job. I've basically diagnosed myself with diabetes, mercury poisoning, stomach ulcers, kidney failure, and I'm sure there are other diseases that I will come up with. I know regardless if I actually have any of these ailments I do need to change my lifestyle because in the future I will definitely start to have problems and I definitely need to see a doctor just for a check up but does anyone go through these type of thoughts or times in their life? Where they basically have let their health go and it becomes a vicious cycle because your anxiety gets worse? Does anyone have any coping mechanisms? Especially since right now I have so many horrible thoughts in my head and I haven't been able to each much today because I was feeling a bit ill?

Default Re: Mercury Poisoning/Hypochondria

Dldogs,
    I would normally tell someone not to worry about fish poisoning but mercury poisoning is not out of the question if you consume too much large fish. You don't have to cut tuna out but every day or every other is not something I would advise. If I remember right where you live is close to where my family is from, and is where I fell in love with eating seafood, and there are many many fish in the local and national markets that are safe in terms of mercury. If I were you I'd look at some of the smaller ones for a bit, give your body a break. Sea trout, freshwater trout, flounder, farm raised and wild salmon, catfish, bluefish, even rock are many orders of magnitude better than tuna from that perspective. I use tuna as a treat and a beef substiute in stir fry and similar dishes. You are probably not poisoned though, as the only case I am personally aware of and it is anecdotal and not medically confirmed as far as I know is a deep sea fisherman's wife who is very petite and ate tuna every day. Again, this is not confirmed as far as I know but what you are doing is not in line with best practices.

Yes we all go through the idea we need to change something - less fatty foods, less booze, more exercise, etc . However stay off the internet and stop diagnosing yourself. It's only going to make you feel worse. If you are in need of a check up go schedule one asap. Try not to overthink and maybe check online for some fun new recipes that may interest you. Pinterest is great for that!

And FWIW I ate tuna literally daily for about a month and I never got mercury poisoning. Not saying it's ok to do, but I'm okay and am/was fine.

I'm not saying she should worry, just that there are a lot of ways to enjoy fish that are safer. I would never tell someone to avoid something good and healthy like tuna unless they were pregnant, trying to conceive, or nursing. I'm suggesting a little moderation. Having said that, I agree that the OP is almost certainly not in any danger and if she is having symptoms of mercury poisoning a doctor should be involved, but I doubt very much that she has anything to worry about. I eat tuna, king mackerel, and used to eat swordfish and marlin and freshwater black bass from limited consumtpion advisory areas and have not had any issues.