Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Help

Default Help

I'm new here but I joined because I have emetophobia and my friend i live with has the stomach flu and same with her boyfriend. I'm not sure if they are sick because of a restaurant they went to on Sunday or if they are truly sick, I feel ok but I'm not eating a lot just in case I get it. If I happen to get it and they have the stomach flu any tips on how to make vomiting easier. Keep in mind I haven't thrown up since 2010. Thank you I really do appreciate it

Default Re: Help

Hi, welcome !
    You have to wash your hands a lot to avoid catching anything but I'm sure you already know that. You can also bleach the place you and your friend live in ..
    I know exaclty why you don't eat a lot "just in case", I do that as well, but as many people here told me, not eating won't stop you from catching anything. You have to eat to stay healthy. The less you eat the weaker you are and it's not good for you. So please, try to eat something!!
    If you happen to catch it, well, it won't be a pleasant time but you'll get through it. I don't have any tips on how to make vomiting easier but I just want you to know that you're strong and you'll handle it.

Take care

Hey morgz!

I can understand the panic but I highly doubt you'll catch it unless you're slacking on your handwashing....

V* is bad but apparatly not as bad as the fear we have so just take your mind of it if it hit, which it probably won't... Makes sense that they both share it if they're kissing etc!

They definitely were kissing. I was around both of them all weekend but not touching them. Just in the same room, I also have been upstairs since shes be showing symptoms which were this morning. Shes been V* downstairs. Is there any way to tell if its the flu or food poisoning? I really don't wanna get this at all. I'm freaking out over it nor do i wanna go downstairs, I'm not sure if my hand washing had stopped it because we got a new dog and I've been washing my hands before I eat. Her boyfriend got it last night and she got it this morning. So would that mean if I had it I'd get it tomorrow?

It means you may not get it at all. "Food poisoning" is gastroenteritis aka the stomach flu and it is contagious. Wash your hands and bleach bleach bleach. Wand washing is the most preventable way of not getting sick.

I hope ill be ok. I really dont want to get it at all. I'm deathly afraid of throwing up. I have been since I was little.

I'm trying to think back into yesterday morning . My friend and I were rushing to go to walmart and she didnt have any symptoms then. In the morning she stuck 2 toaster strudels in the toaster for me. If she didn't wash her hands ( Which i dont know ) Could I catch it since she wasn't showing symptoms of anything? Thats the only direct contact I could possibly think of other than she made us both tea last night which she still had no symptoms .

Several hours have passed now, just wanted to see how you are feeling. Hopefully things have calmed down for you!

I stayed home from class. I haven't gotten anything yet ( Fingers crossed) I plan on staying hoe tomorrow just in case. Hoping everything is better by Friday. My friend is feeling better just in bed with a headache which is obvious. Hoping It's not taking its course to hit me. I figured by Friday if I had It I would have gotten it by now. I disinfected everything possible in the house. Also washed my hands constantly . Praying I dont get anything within the next 48 hours.

Thanks for the concern I really do appreciate it Its like everyone here are the only peple who understand what I'm going through

Thumbs up Re: Help

Quote Originally Posted by leahmarie7269 View Post
    It means you may not get it at all. "Food poisoning" is gastroenteritis aka the stomach flu and it is contagious. Wash your hands and bleach bleach bleach. Wand washing is the most preventable way of not getting sick.

This is actually false. Food poisoning is bacterial gastroenteritis and it is NOT contagious.

Salmonella bacteria is contagious unfortunately. My friend had it while we were on vacation two years ago and I looked it up. It can be spread from the person who ate the bad food to others the same way noro is spread. Scary but true.

One tip to make it easier is actually to eat. It's much more painful and less relieving to just throw up acid, if you have things in your stomach it's much better. Also if it does happen, don't fight it. I was sick not long ago and got sick twice. The first time I fought it like crazy and almost held off but it ended up happening anyway. It was awful because I was fighting it even after it started happening. Like an hour later I got sick again, except this time I felt it coming and instead of fighting, I completely gave up control and let it happen. It was almost fun (ok maybe not but it was actually an ok experience) and I had the added bonus of not inhaling and choking on vomit and panicking for minutes, knowing I was on the edge.