Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Little kids aaahhhh

So, yesterday, my friend's son had a stomach ache (they live with me) and this morning while me, my son, and husband were not in the house her son v* in their room and then in their bathroom. His mother did bleach the toilet and sink and washed the blankets in hot hot water but I am still FREAKING OUT!!!!! I am quarentining myself to my room as well as my son and husband. We have our own bathroom but she is allowing her younger son to go in the diseased bathroom (after being bleached) but she did not use gloves or changed her clothes and I want her to take her kids and leave to a hotel for a few weeks but I know she does not have the money. If she ends up getting sick or the younger kid I will be forced to make her find other living arrangements for the next few weeks because I just cannot handle it. Is this super mean of me? I feel like the world's worst friend...this is my house and we have never had a NV* outbreak in my house which we built brand new and have had the luxury of my standards of cleanliness and now they come in, a month later her freaking child is v* all over my freaking house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to keep my entire family in my room rather than enjoying our 2,000 square feet of pure bliss because of my fear.

Default Re: Little kids aaahhhh

First of all, remember that this IS in fact illogical because unfortunately a phobia doesn't allow for logical thought. Second, he's not v*ing all over the house, it was only in two rooms. I know it FEELS like its everywhere but it's not. Third, it's your house, your rules but I do think it's a bit extreme to send her packing because of a bit of v*. Now, I DO think it's appropriate to explain your fear and to ask her to do a few things to keep everyone healthy and to diffuse your anxiety. Asking her to shower her son in the morning for the next week isn't asking much nor is it to have him only use their toilet following with a bleach/water spray down of the toilet and sink. Gloves aren't needed to clean properly, I never use them. Remember that MOST parents don't catch their children's viruses and MOST people aren't crazy cleaners! Think of an appropriate negotiation that would work for everyone until this passes. Don't keep your family prison in one room but do have her take appropriate measures to allow you to not be overly anxious.

I thank you very much for your response it helped me put thus into perspective a but more. I did ask her to wash the clothes on hit twice and to keep her son away from mine. She just seems more annoyed than anything, I did try to explain my fear to help her understand why I am being so crazy. My fear isn't something not a whole lot of people care to understand and quitell frankly they find stupid. I am trying to keep my cool but I cannot and will not be okay with thus virus being in my house and I don't have to be okay with it. My husband is the only person that understands me and it makes it hard when it happens and I have no one to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    First of all, remember that this IS in fact illogical because unfortunately a phobia doesn't allow for logical thought. Second, he's not v*ing all over the house, it was only in two rooms. I know it FEELS like its everywhere but it's not. Third, it's your house, your rules but I do think it's a bit extreme to send her packing because of a bit of v*. Now, I DO think it's appropriate to explain your fear and to ask her to do a few things to keep everyone healthy and to diffuse your anxiety. Asking her to shower her son in the morning for the next week isn't asking much nor is it to have him only use their toilet following with a bleach/water spray down of the toilet and sink. Gloves aren't needed to clean properly, I never use them. Remember that MOST parents don't catch their children's viruses and MOST people aren't crazy cleaners! Think of an appropriate negotiation that would work for everyone until this passes. Don't keep your family prison in one room but do have her take appropriate measures to allow you to not be overly anxious.

Well, she doesn't have to get it but she does have to respect you, especially given that it's your house. Last year we went to spend some time with my parents and my mom caught it. I told her that either we had to go stay at a hotel or she had to do a few things to make me feel comfortable. I explained that I knew it was irrational but that it would be heavy on my mind so the only way we'd be able to stay was if she promised to scrub her hands twice after going #2, sprayed down the toilet flusher and sink with beach/water spray. We all stayed healthy and though it irritated her she did it. As a guest in your home that's really not much to ask. I've been in people's home that ha e strange habits, expectations but as a guest I do them. She can deal for a few days.

You are a good friend to allow her and her children to live with you. That's something I could never tolerate. I like my own space and I don't particularly like to be around other people's kids for extended periods. My own kids are amazing and a visit that has an end from other kids is fine but having them stay for an indefinite amonyt of time would make me crazy. Since you are so accommodating, however, the least she could do is respect your wishes.

Thank you everyone for your comments, I had a lengthy conversation with her about my fears and that it would make me feel better if she would keep him to his own bathroom and away from my son for the next couple weeks, also, his clothes and the laundry he had on has to be out in a garbage bag and out in the garage for 3 weeks, the air mattress he got sick on gets pitched out (I will but a new one) and if her littler one gets sick he needs to be in her room, with towels covering the carpets, and my tarp from the garage. All laundry must be washed 2 times on hot and dried for 2 hours on the hottest settings and she is in charge of a complete bleach down after every single episode. Fortunately the 5 year old only got sick 2 times yesterday and know one has showed any signs or symptoms of being ill *knock on wood*. She was so awesome and understanding, a little annoyed but I can see why.

Perfect. I'm glad she was understanding. If he was only sick twice it could have been a different issue and not an actual bug. Regardless, everything is taken care of so now you can start to relax. Glad you were honest!

Ya, he had a tummy ache and fever the day before but after taking tylenol he ate a jello pack and was perfectly fine, the following morning he was ill but no fever or d* so I have no idea. I had d* but I chalked it up to my anxiety of everything because my tummy didn't hurt and the n* was from my panic. I just relaxed in bed and later that evening I cooked my husband pork chops and it smelled so good I HAD TO HAVE A BITE! If I contracted the sv* I would have been so turned off by food and the smell would have sent me running for the hill!