Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: career problem!

Hi everyone! my name is christina and i'm 19, i'm new to this board (i already posted something under experiences). Anyway i've been emetophobic since i was 12, but it started to get worse the past three/four months. 2 days before i left for my second year of college, i was in the car on the way back from church and my 6 year old brother got sick in the car a couple of times (yuck!!!!) I handled it alright (no anxiety at home which was amazing) until i got to school and had to be there alone, and it was then i became nervous about catching it. then i got stressed out from schoolwork and such and thenervousness just stayed. (fyi: ihave no idea of the cause of my emetophobia)The extent of my symptoms are that i get nervous with most stomach aches, i'm afraid offeeling sick a few days a week, but i dont' carry anti-nausea medicine with me anywhere, i eat normally, i work at a job where i have LOTS of contact with people, etc (i'm a physical therapist aide). for those of you who read my post under experiences, i freaked out a couple of times because a girl i babysat for thought she might be sick.

ANYWAY since i was a sophomore in high school i've wanted to work in the medical field... i want to be a physician assistant... really badly....but how can i have this fear and work in the medical field??!! i can't imagine being in any other field at all. so i have to get over this, because i'll be working with sick people all the time and seeing you-know-what probably a lot. has anyone heard of an emetophobic person working in the health field? this is so discouraging for me!! i would love to become an EMT for a year or so before graduate school... i think ican handle everything except for people v*ing. am i crazy for wanting to do this??

i'm so sorry, maybe this post should be moved to another section? i just read the new rules about this section being emet free!!!

Rules were meant to be broken.

uh oh... here it comes.

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Anyway, once you get into the medical field and learn how the various
    forms of gastroenteritis are spread, you will not worry quite so much
    about catching it IMHO.

Then again, the phobia is like a parasite in our minds and even knowing
    the facts doesn't always help. So my advice would be this: Do you want
    to do what YOU want to do or do you want to do what the phobia wants
    you to do? I highly suggest doing what you want to do.

Hey, i know how you feel, im currently studying biomedical science which is laboratory based but i really want to go onto med school! Im also considering doing veterinary medicine because i deal with animal v* quite easily. Im unsure at the moment if i could cope with being doctor so im just working really hard on my studies so at least i have the option later on. I know that there are a few members on this site that are nurses, im unsure if we have any doctors, but futuredr is a 5th year med student i believe so it can be done!

You aren't crazy

As well remembered above, I'm studying Medicine in London and am in my 5th year. I have no regrets. Admittedly I think I was getting a lot better before uni, but being here has only helped more. It is an exposure therapy of sorts, but it is good because you realise that actually it's not as easy to get sick as you might think!! Also you don't see v* that often, to be honest.

That said, I am terrified of when I qualify and actually have responsibility, because right now if there was a v* situation I felt uncomfortable with, it would be REALLY easy to escape. Not so easy when you actually start work, I am sure! I guess I just think, when the time comes, I'll deal with it.

I haven't seen that much v* and I have done 2 years of clinical. In fact I have held a v*bowl for a patient, and I was fine! I'm far from being cured but I can handle things a lot better now.

Anyway what I'm saying is, go for it! You can do it!!Edited by: futuredr

I am a severe emet and I want to become a teacher. I already have my degree and I'm soon to be starting alternative certification --- and I like working with the little ones too! I am currently substitute teaching and I love my job. I am also good at my job and get asked to return to schools to teach.

I am beginning to realize we are all good at different things and we all have fears. My emet is bad, but I'm learning that other teachers can't handle V* either when it happens in their classrooms... so at least I'm not alone. I also need to remember that kids aren't sick all the time, just a small portion of the time. I need to focus on their education and let someone else focus on their health.

Just remember that as a P.A., people will come in with more than just SV's and stuff. They will have much more serious needs you will get to address and not all serious medical problems involve V*. Pursue your passion, recognize where your weaknesses are, and learn to push through them.