Hey everyone, I hope you're all doing well
I've been feeling a whole lot of negative feelings lately that correspond with the symptoms of depression, but I don't want to be too quick to self-diagnose. So if anyone has or understands how depression feels, can I get a few opinions on whether I have the early signs of depression, or whether I'm just going through a temporary rough patch?

Over the last 3 or so months, I keep on focusing on negative things, especially the fact that I have emetophobia and I have to live with the possibility of getting triggered on a daily basis. I also feel a lack of confidence that has never been an issue for me - I'm not usually shy, but lately I seem to want to distance myself from the spotlight more often than not. I feel very disconnected with reality at times, and I have a lot of trouble connecting with people, especially friends and family. I want to be on my own a lot, and I feel like no one quite understands me. Even though I know I have friends at school, I just can't seem to click with them. Finally, sometimes I feel numb to things around me; if someone were to try and make me laugh, or if someone in front of me was crying, I'd feel numb... almost like I wouldn't care. All these negative feelings seem to have been more noticeable after a breakup that happened towards the end of last year.

Even though I feel all that, I still feel like there are positive things in my life... this is what's making me think that I might just be 'going through a rough patch'. I don't feel worthless or guilty, or completely hopeless, and I don't hate myself. I don't feel like I'm drowning or suffocating in sadness, which gives me hope that I'm not getting depression. I also have optimism for my future, and I keep thinking that things are going to get better sooner or later.

This has been on my mind for quite a while, and I feel like this forum is the only way I can express these thoughts right now - I don't want people to think I'm attention seeking or being ridiculous by saying all this. For those who have depression, I'm very sorry you have to go through such a debilitating condition on top of emet. My thoughts are with you <3