Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs up Good (but possibly old) news about Noro research

Hey all -

Hope everyone's week is going well. I wish I could say mine is - it's not bad but not great either. I have my second counselling appointment tonight for my emet and generalized anxiety so hopefully I can vent a bit and get motivated to combat this awful phobia.

It's been getting into other areas of my life (as some of my earlier posts may have suggested) and is now making me freak out about moving in with my boyfriend, and terrified of having kids.
    (Seriously this bit is one of the more difficult ones - any emet parents with words of encouragement or advice on this issue please feel free to add!)

I am not sure if this was posted here before as it is an older article (sorry! Just found it now..) - but I was googling obsessively as a usually do - and came across this gem. I was always under the impression they could (grow? isolate?) the feline version of noro in labs, which is why noro has a funny name on the list ot viruses killed by Lysol 3. But now they are apparently able to grow human noro in labs - I find this exciting. I know I've heard rumor of a vaccine in the future. I hope this is true, along with meds that can combat the virus.

Source: http://www.futurity.org/norovirus-cell-culture-801452/

Anyone else have any uplifting facts or news to help work through sv* season??

Default Re: Good (but possibly old) news about Noro research

Pretty interesting! I don't know this researcher, but this research apparently happened at the university where I work. Indeed not being able to culture the virus has been a huge obstacle to research.

There were quite a few articles last spring/summer about the vaccine. It's already in phase 2. Thankfully the cruise ship industry is DUMPING money into vaccine research as they lose so many customers due to fear of becoming sick onboard. They also lose a lot of money every time they have to dock and clean the ships (a few times a season). The last I heard they finished the first stage of human testing and there was a 50% decrease in symptoms. So, things are moving along well! I really do believe that we'll have a vaccine within 5 years.

Also, the stomach bug peaked early this year which means that it was a 'slower' year for Norovirus. These low years are usually followed by another as not as many individuals will carry it through the summer. So, there's that! The peak has already occurred in most of the US, so we're almost through!!! HANG ON!

Hey guys - thanks for replying!

I am so glad they are looking into a vaccine and medication for this virus. Any virus is so hard to treat since they change so often but there's a first time for everything - this virus is particularly evil in how it spreads (especially since you need so little of it to start showing symptoms)

Syrup I just heard about them creating a vaccine (or in the process rather) not long ago - I am relieved. In a way people getting so sick on cruise ships is a blessing in disguise, because it gives a really big industry the motivation to throw money at a cause. I'd LOVE to eradicate this virus entirely! And all gastrointestinal viruses. That would be a dream! Lol.

Hopefully is it not too good to be true, I know there are threads on here from years ago about vaccines, I saw one from 2009 - I hope it is coming sooner than later.