Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Alcohol and being emet

I'm 23 years old and the last time I was drunk was probably age 17... And it so happens that the last time I was drunk was the last time I had v*.

My boyfriend and I go out (dinners, bars, social events) but I refuse to drink. The thing is I WANT to drink. I want to loosen up while everyone else is, but I can't bring myself to it. I get jealous of everyone else having a good time that I get in a bad mood and ruin my night.

I've convinced myself that I won't even be able to drink one drink without getting sick. And at the rate I'm going, I'm not going to be able to drink at my wedding reception while everyone else is and I'll ruin another night.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Alcohol and being emet

Can you stick to three drinks for the night? You won't vomit from that.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There is a huge difference between being drunk and having a few drinks. Moderation is key.

My advice? Don't overdo, don't drink on an empty stomach, make sure to eat a bit here and there and also chase each drink (or at least every other) with some water. Maybe start slow, with a beer or a glass of wine instead of hard liquor?

I drink. And I have gotten sick from it a few times. However it was always when I was stupid and just drank way too much, way too fast.

I don't drink either. Partially for the reason you listed and partially because I just think alcohol is gross.

I believe the others are right that you will be fine with moderation, but I also believe you can change your mindset if you decide not to drink. You CAN still go out with your friends and have fun without drinking, I've been doing it for 10 years. In college basically everyone drinks, but I went to parties completely sober and have great memories of those times. Until recently, my husband's friends were all single so going to bars was a staple. They loved having me around to be the designated driver and the voice of reason during their drunken conversations. I felt a sense of control and empowerment knowing I wasn't putting myself in a situation where I could be sick or hungover the next day. There is nothing to be jealous of. You are choosing not to drink and that's ok. You don't need it to have fun, even if everyone else is doing it. I know this from experience.

I've never known anyone to get sick from one drink. Or two. Or even three honestly. I get what you're feeling as I've felt it before but I can tell you that every single time I just go ahead and have a drink or 2 I enjoy myself so much more. It's the perfect amount (for me at least) to relax, decrease anxiety, and have a good time without feeling drunk and out of control like I might be sick.

I doubt a few drinks would make you v. Just stick to the same drink and make sure you don't overdo it!

I feel I drink more often then most emets. I have a beer or 2 several times a week and now and then have a few glasses of wine. Like ChiGal said moderation is key!! Don't over do it and don't drink to fast. I have never gotten ill drinking 3 beers/3 glasses of wine/3 captain and cokes/3 whatever. If I drink a beer that has 10% alcohol in it I count that as 2 beers because those higher alcohol contented beers tend to catch up with you quickly.

Go have fun, just remember moderation is key and you don't need to be drunk to have a good time.

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." - JFK

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." - Charles Schulz

I forgot to add try to stick with the same type of drinks. Like if you have a beer stick with beer don't switch to hard liquor. There is a saying, beer before liquor never been sicker which is very true. However I even noticed if I have a 1 beer and switch to anything else I start to feel n* never been s* with 2 drinks, but I don't feel good after doing that. xx

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." - JFK

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." - Charles Schulz

I am an emet and I am also an alcoholic. Ironic, I know. Alcohol is the only thing that relaxes me. Once I have enough, I could care less if I vomit.

Spoiler alert - don't do cranberry cider on an empty stomach haha ...or any cider for that matter....I tried it the other day and felt drunk after a good small glass and told all my friends I had gotten a 'sudden bug' ..then the next thing I know I'm in McDonald's eating fries haha...oh dear.