Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What is the *FP time until I'm safe??

I've eaten chicken (I really didn't want to, but if I didn't I wouldn't have been able to eat anything) and now I feel rough. I had a scone about 10 minutes after.

We ate about 2 hours ago. My stomach is all over the place, my face keeps getting prickly and hot. I had a BM about 20 minutes ago. But that hasn't helped bring down this feeling. I get some random bubbles in my stomach, then gas, then a spike of anxiety (which makes me feel sick).

I'm out of the house again tonight for a few hours so this feeling is even worse because I'm with other people out in public

I don't want to do the classic panic and then run outside convinced I'm unwell. I'm sat listening to some women who's in the room talk about her husband being unwell today and some other sister unwell too. I HATE this stupid phobia, and these stupid months leading up to Spring.

How many hours until I'm safe? Is 2 hours the start of digestion? Or could what I feel be the build up of something worse?

Default Re: What is the *FP time until I'm safe??

Ugh guys this is so horrible. It's all building up in the back of my throat and there's a dull ache in the top of my stomach. is it any wonder why I avoid eating so much, it's always such a punishment to digest food.

I can't be 100% certain as I was not tested - but I think what I had was food-related like time i was s* last year, no one else got what I had.

My symptoms didn't start until about 6 hours after my last meal. If it is what I am thinking - being Listeria bacteria from 1 of 2 different sources - I either had it happen 36 hours after I ate a certain food, or 6. Jury is out on which it was.

My main thing was this (WARNING: May be a little triggering) - my n* didn't feel like anxiety n*. It was totally in my stomach and I felt really unconformable and bloated. I want to say this feeling lasted around a half hour before I d* and 3 hours before I n*. It was like I had to fart (TMI) but nothing would come out and when I finally felt like I could, it was d*. Sorry TMI again - but just telling you my experience.

What you have sounds like it could be caused by your heightening anxiety. Everything you describe sounds like me almost daily. Loud gurgly stomach, not being relieved by BM, hot face etc. I get like this when I am hyperaware - especially if someone mentions anything about an illness or sv. Did anything taste "off"? If not I am willing to bet this is anxiety-induced gas or just plain 'ol gas that your mind is intensifying.

Thanks, no it was definitely okay tasting. It was cooked for 2 hours! But I just over think all the possible things that could still be lingering in the food even after cooking (is that even a thing?!)

I'm trying to burp, but when I do (I'm not the greatest at burping, I never do proper ones. More like a backward hiccup.) but it's just feeling like something else, possibly acid, will come up.

If I was at home right now I could just lay out a bit more and give myself some stomach rubs to release all the gas. But I'm in a quiet room with 3 people and have to be "normal". My partner who ate the same food (it was all in one baking dish) is feeling fine. I think you're right that it's heightened anxiety. But because I can't come down from it I'm just losing my mind over it. ARGH!!!!!

I totally get what you're going through. Sometimes simply being home brings enough comfort.

The acidy feeling you're getting sounds more like indigestion - which isn't necessarily bad - could be that your stomach is digesting your food and trying to force a burp kind of interrupts this process (again, a feeling I have too much experience with! lol) I usually like stretching (sometimes I'll mask it with a yawn at work but that might be counterproductive here) and also sips of cold water will sometimes help relieve gas, or relax my body enough to let the gas come out on its own. Trapped gas is so annoying! Makes you feel all kinds of weirdness and frustration.

Going through another bad wave. Shaking, weird burping feeling that just feels like something worse will come up. Burning sort of sensation in my chest and throat too.

Yes! I suffer (but not really suffer because I just let it all out at home,ha!!) with trapped gas so much at home, that I forget how bad it is when I have to hold it in. Trying to give my partner "the look" to wrap this up, not working. 🙄

See, even when I want the gas to come out sometimes it just likes to linger lol so I suffer form this ore often than I would like.

Do you think maybe you can text your boyfriend on the sly so you don't bring attention to yourselves but still get the point across?

Thanks for all the help yesterday Razzle, it started to come down about 20 minutes after my last message.
    Even managed to have a cuppa tea before bed! Ha.

Thanks again! X

Glad to hear it Cathy!

Nice example of how things CAN and DO settle down ALOT of the time. Maybe the sauce didn't agree with you ? Ah well, glad you managed a tea before bed haha

Yes it is thecheesecake17! If only my brain would remember that for the next time. X