Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Emets that have had surgery??

So, this seems dumb, I know but I have my wisdom teeth coming in and my dentist says they are perfectly fine and are growing in great (Thank my dear sweet Lord) but he said if my bottom right keeps getting swelled and irritating he will "cut the remaining gum from around the tooth" ..dentist say what!? He said it will require me to put under because he will actually be performing oral surgery and Novocaine will not be enough for me to handle the pain..like I gave birth without meds..I can handle some pain..mmkay! How did you all do with being out to sleep because as you all know, anesthesia makes you n*

Default Re: Emets that have had surgery??

Quote Originally Posted by leahmarie7269 View Post
    So, this seems dumb, I know but I have my wisdom teeth coming in and my dentist says they are perfectly fine and are growing in great (Thank my dear sweet Lord) but he said if my bottom right keeps getting swelled and irritating he will "cut the remaining gum from around the tooth" ..dentist say what!? He said it will require me to put under because he will actually be performing oral surgery and Novocaine will not be enough for me to handle the pain..like I gave birth without meds..I can handle some pain..mmkay! How did you all do with being out to sleep because as you all know, anesthesia makes you n*
    I had two back surgeries in high school (when my phobia was at one of its worst peaks), and then I had all four of my wisdom teeth out when I was 19 (put completely under). I never once had nausea or vomiting. The only time I even got remotely nervous was after my second back surgery, I tried to get up too fast and I got super light-headed and had to lie down, but no nausea.

I bet you'll be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by leahmarie7269 View Post
    UGH. My posts won't show up and it's super frustrating. Short story: 3 surgeries, 1 was 4 wisdom teeth out, totally fine, no nausea or vomiting, I bet you'll be fine.

Hey moderators, how am i supposed to help if none of my posts go through??!

Quote Originally Posted by ronswansonparks2016 View Post
    hey moderators, how am i supposed to help if none of my posts go through??!
    oh sure, this one goes through, but not my advice ones. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by RonSwansonParks2016 View Post
    oh sure, this one goes through, but not my advice ones. Nice.
    Trying again with super short post. I had 3 surgeries, including 4 wisdom teeth out. All good. You’ll be good.

I would not want to be awake for that. Heck if they could put me under for fillings I would take it lol I had all 4 of mine cut out as they were impacted, so obviously I was under. No nausea, totally fine. i explained my concerns and they gave me Zofran in IV before/during the procedure. Then filled a small script for me to take home just incase, but honestly never needed them. I also didn't take the pain meds they gave me, just regular ibuprofen and was fine. It's really a simple procedure, especially for you since you won't really be having them removed.
    I have been put under two other times. Always fine, but always requested antiemtics
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I've been put under three times, not once did I get nauseous. I think the first two times, (I was 13 for one, 17 for the other) my mom had them give me an antiemetic through the IV since she's prone to post-surgery nausea (she gets nauseous fairly easily)...the last time was when I was 20 - no antiemetics, and felt just fine. If anything, I was hungry.

Everyone responds to anesthesia differently. Based on my experience working in a hospital temporarily (I was the physical therapist who had to get people up and walking around within the first 24 hours post-op usually... some within hours or surgery) MOST people did not have nausea or vomiting. Some absolutely do and are given zofran which was extremely effective at relieving their symptoms. But most people (at least in my experience) did not have any of those symptoms.

Hello, I'm sorry about your teeth, let alone it can be all new to you by being put out. But everyone is different in taking anesthesiain so many ways. I personally had 3 surgeries that they had to put me out, and I didn't feel sick with any of them, except a little with my last one, but it's tolerable, it went away as soon as I sat up and walked around. I'm sure you will be fine! Just think positive and you will feel positive inside and out. Good luck!

I have not had any anesthesia-related nausea or vomiting, even after an 8 hour spinal surgery. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but it does seem unlikely; you're more likely to make yourself nauseous by stressing out about becoming nauseous if you're anything like me! However, I have yet to meet a doctor who was not willing to administer a shot of Zofran before the procedure and a prescription for afterwards. I'm sure if you ask your dentist and explain your emetophobia they'll administer it for you, and that should be more than enough to offset any nausea you might get from the surgery if you're one of the unlucky few. If you haven't ever been completely under before, the reality is nowhere near as scary as the idea.

Long story short, I'm sure you'll be fine if it comes down to it, and don't hesitate to explain your situation and request an anti-emetic beforehand. Best of luck! Hopefully your teeth will behave.