Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Outbreak worry

Thumbs down Outbreak worry

So I'm not panicking YET, but I am keeping an eye on an evolving situation.

Warning - may trigger, but really light. Affects people in a certain area is all, no nasty details.

There is a college not too far from me (1.5 hrs) on the East coast of the USA that just got infected with...something. Officials have no true idea what yet. But so far, since Tuesday, 200 students have gotten ill, 30 enough to prompt a visit to the ER - with, you guessed it, prolonged v* d* and dehydration.
    This isn't counting staff that was infected.

Apparently everyone ate at the same place on campus and are dropping like flies, they threw around "stomach bug" and "norovirus-like illness" and "stomach infection" but are not sure what it is yet. Testing would take a few days and I'm freaking out internally that it is NV. I originally thought FP, but the number is climbing despite them shutting down their on-campus dining. Unless there is an incubation period to consider which I know some forms of FP have.

If it is in fact NV, I can only imagine how freaked the food worker who brought it to the college in the first place must feel. Part of me is angered by the idea that someone who handles food would be in work sick or most likely so close to getting better. It affected the school THAT MUCH. Other shops in the town had to supply the kids food since dining was shut down...since someone irresponsible turned every 2 out of 16 kids into vombies.

NV is in the stool for up 2 two weeks I hear. They ought to test the food workers and at the very least fine the one who brought it into the dinig hall. Extreme maybe...but hey, NV could really screw people up and create bad PR. Ask Chipotle.

Anyway I am freaked out because...and I will sound so selfish, so I apologize for those who attend or know someone attending this college...a lot of these kids are going home for the weekend or to bail from this illness. The college cancelled classes as a result of everyone getting sick. So now I'm kind of worried the kids who THINK they are fine are venturing to their home towns for the weekend and are going to spread this. Like some pandemic. I know how silly it sounds, as many get illnesses a year and I could live by several right in my neighborhood...it's just hearing about it skeeves me out.

BONUS! Do NOT get Sickweather! It is an app I have that tells me of the illnesses in my area, where they are and when they were reported. I thought I'd have a leg up on everyone but knowing ahead of time if there is an outbreak but damn it's like opening pandora's box! Imagine the brick I shat when I saw "96 cases of Norovirus" pop up on my phone! Ahhhh! I m a glutton for punishment.

But seriously, don't get the app. You'll turn neurotic.
    Last edited by Razzle; 02-12-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Default Re: Outbreak worry

Where on the East Coast of USA if you don't mind me asking...I am from the East Coast as well....I am actually thinking of getting Sickweather app....

Don't do it, it'll make you go insane! Ignorance is bliss.

And I'm from NJ

From CT here.. That app looks cool though...But I probably won't be leaving the house after getting it...

I've had the app for a long time now, it's weird how it works though. Sometimes a sv will pop up and sometimes it won't. AND it pops up in the middle of nowhere. So tbh I don't know how accurate it is.
    But I would be nervous too if I were you but also think of it this way. It could be ANYTHING something in the water, a food poisoning or a sv*. Remember the media portrays things out on a larger scale and over dramatizes things. Try not to panic you will be fine, hand washing and keeping your body healthy will help tremendously!

I'm from NJ too and I have no idea where this outbreak has occurred. This is the first I am hearing about it and I watch the news every morning while getting ready for work. What is the name of the college?

Tiredofitall it was Ursinus College in PA