Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Roommate is sick

Hey everyone! Sorry to make my first real post on here other than the intro thread about a problem of mine, but I've been really stressed these last few days with regard to my university roommate being ill.

So basically he v* Friday night and then said he felt okay on Saturday, was eating a roll, etc. I sleep in the room on Friday because I knew he v*d in the bathroom which is not attached to our room. Saturday night is fine as well as he seemed fine and I hadn't heard any news about anything new happening (at this point he started showing cold-like symptoms). Fast forward to Sunday and he v*d twice after an apparent reprieve of a day or two, his cold symptoms are very bad (but he refuses to take medicine).

That night I sleep in a friend's room in a different building because I am so shaken and scared. I wore the same outfit for two days because I wouldn't step foot in the room. Yesterday he v*d again, making me panic even more; I know for a fact he hardly washes his hands after the fact because the bathroom he v*s in does not have soap, and therefore the most he can do is rinse them (and he has explicitly told me before that if it were up to him he wouldn't wash his hands at all because it would make all of us stronger immunologically).

I grab a change of clothes and end up spending the night with a different friend who lived in an off-campus apartment. Tonight I saw him eating dinner at the dining hall: his normal self, it seemed. I texted him a little while ago asking if it was safe for me to come back (i.e. he was done v*ing) but he has yet to answer me.

I have been taking vitamins, have not touched my face, and have consistently covered my nose and mouth whenever I've been in the room because he isn't sure what he has (although I find him very annoying for this because while adamantly saying he stopped being contagious after the first day, he has also adamantly explained that he doesn't know what he has, so how he knows the contagiousness of it is beyond me). It's getting late and I feasibly could sleep in the library but I'm exhausted and just want to go back. The only thing stopping me is the fear that he may have touched my stuff, coughed (as he has been coughing) without covering his mouth/on my stuff, or v*d in the room/didn't wash his hands properly and has contaminated common objects in the room.

The anxiety of it all consumes me, and I don't want to keep inconveniencing friends to let me stay with them because if I waited out even the most resilient of bugs it could still be a week or so before I'd be comfortable enough going in there without covering my nose for fear of inhaling germs.

What do you all think about this? I recently took a benadryl (one: to prevent nausea; two: to help me sleep; and three: to calm me down) and I can feel it starting to hit me. I just don't know where I should go to sleep even though I'll be out of the room by 11:20 tomorrow morning and wouldn't be back until late tomorrow night. Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Roommate is sick

When you definitely know this person is well again go back to your room armed with bleach, disposable gloves and a mask.Wipe over everything, change the bed linen, wash curtains and floors.Spray an aerosol disinfectant spray.Always wear shoes too whilst cleaning, germs can spread from your bare feet to your bed or the sofa if you are one to put your feet up on the sofa while watching television.That's what I think.Yeah, so it all comes down to cleaning (bleaching) when you are dealing with V*and D*. And please, educate your room mate on basic hand washing.