Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm fairly new to emetophobia and have started treatment already (hypnosis) [img]smileys/smilies_13.gif[/img] .

Ever since I started treatment i have had a feeling that I dont actually want to be cured because it will mean that I will stop my obsessive hygiene habits and get sick and v*. I am scared that if this does happen it will turn out that i am actually still scared of v*ing or that i will be trapped in a public situation or with friends.

Does anyone else feel this way? Am i just thinking about this way too much? [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    (billy)

I don't think that you're thinking about too much; I think it's the emet talking. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Good luck with your treatment! It's nice to meet another complete noob here.

It is possible to sabotage your own treatment by that type of thinking- it seems to me that while you appear to want to get over this, and are seeking treatment- part of you is holding you back. Preventing you from fully embracing your desire to 'cure' your emetophobia because then you think it may lead to getting sick. Kind of a vicious circle, isnt it?

Hopefully hypnosis will work for you- if it does, it wont matter if you DO get sick because you will no longer fear it.

I know that when I am worrying about being sick in public, I always think "well, whats the absolute WORST thing that can happen".You may gross a few people out- and be a bit embarrassed. It has unfortunately happened to me a few times because of motionsickness- andI was surprised because complete strangers came up to me and asked if I was okay- one lady even gave me a tissue.

I hope your treatment goes well

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I did realize that i was sabotaging my treatment by thinking that. Thanks for your help though, i guess i should try to be more positivly minded.

(billy)

Billy,

Just to affirm that your thinking is quite common to emetophobes. I remember thinking the same thing at one time. It's not really sabotaging your treatment....but it is a cognition that makes no sense, and needs to be restructured. This is one benefit of cognitive therapy. While the logic alone won't cure you, it is an important first step. Here are some positive cognitions:

1) vomiting is normal, natural and neutral. It is not dangerous, or something to be feared.

2) Your goal is to stop fearing vomiting, not to prevent vomiting.

3) Once you no longer fear vomiting, you will be a completely different person - just as normal as everyone else. Everyone else does not vomit more, or more often, or in public except in unusually and extremely rare circumstances. Being cured will NOT mean you are any more likely to vomit than you are now.

4) Being "not cured" is ruining your life.

5) Being cured is wonderful, liberating, joyful, and peace-filled. It is a goal that has nothing negative about it.

Hope this helps a little! Maybe keep saying stuff like this over to yourself about a million times. Really think it through, then convince yourself of it.

All the best!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks heaps Sage. I understand what your saying and i can see the benifits of thinking those thoughts over and over. I think that'll really help
    (billy)

Hi Billy,

I know this is a late reply, but I just wanted to add an analogy..

At one time, I was getting out of a bad relationship with someone. Iwas having trouble with it because I thought this exact same way! Iwas used to him, I knew him, Ifelt comfortable with him. But at the same time, he caused me a lot of pain and heartache, and emotional abuse. I wasso afraid to cut off contact with him because I thought the painwas from NOT being close with him; however, the painwas from BEING with him. Just like you think the pain is in v*ing, when in fact, it is from NOT v*ing and being afraid!!

So, once you conquer the fear, you will realize that you no longer need it. I was so afraid to let go, because I didn't know how I could go on without this man. I didn't realize that onceI let go,I longer care about anything to do with himandit was then that I was free.
    Soluene

If you are going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

let us know how the hypnosis goes. and how they actually do it too. i've been looking into treatment and i'm curious about the whole hypnosis thing.

Hi Pilar! So sorry I'm never on the site when you are! Yet you're always dishing out really great wisdom! Glad to see you posting.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I'll make sure ilet you know once i'vespent some time with thehypnotherapy.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]Edited by: billyboy
    (billy)