Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Anesthesia

Default Anesthesia

I have to get an endoscopy next month and I'm super nervous about being n* or v* when I wake up from the anesthesia. I've never been put under before so I don't know what to expect. Any tips? Anything I can talk to my doctor about to make the likelihood of me getting n* less?

Default Re: Anesthesia

Your anesthesiologist can give you medication before/during/after to help combat nausea. Just talk to them before and be upfront and honest. They want you to feel as comfortable as possible

I have had 2 done and was only slightly n* afterwards. I believe this was due to not having food or water for like 19 hours. I am prone to n* when I get too hungry, so i think that was the reason. You are put under for SUCH a short amount of time (less than 30 min) that it should't effect you too much.

Yes, be totally honest with your doc and nurses and they will give you an anti emetic right in your IV. When you do wake up, try to wake slowly. Sometimes they hurry you along. Eat and drink slowly and have something plain when they offer you a snack. Good luck! You will be fine!!