Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: On a ship, would you rather...

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get sick from norovirus

7 43.75%
  • Get involved in a ship accident

9 56.25%

Default On a ship, would you rather get sick from a noro outbreak or have the ship sink?

My fear of vomiting is so severe that I'd rather have the ship sink (I can swim at least) than to get sick from a norovirus that usually occurs in ships. Of course, I wouldn't want my family with me.

Default Re: On a ship, would you rather get sick from a noro outbreak or have the ship sink?

I've dealt with norovirus before, and even kept from vomiting from it. I'd rather not deal with having a ship sinking.

I'm not sure you're old enough to take a ship by yourself.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: On a ship, would you rather get sick from a noro outbreak or have the ship sink?

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    I've dealt with norovirus before, and even kept from vomiting from it. I'd rather not deal with having a ship sinking.
    I've also dealt with norovirus where I kept myself from vomiting. The thing is, even the nausea and that hellish "influenza" feeling you get from it is as horrible - The sleepless nights. Fever. The fatigue. The chills. The body aches. It's not just the vomiting that's bad. Not to mention, norovirus doesn't always go for 24-48 hours. I had it for 2 agonizing weeks. Perhaps it was because I didn't vomit so the virus lingered in me much longer? I don't know.

I'm not sure you're old enough to take a ship by yourself.
    What are you on about?...
    Last edited by Theropod; 04-05-2016 at 09:14 AM.

Realistically, I know I'm going to survive norovirus, I don't know that I'd survive a sinking ship. I imagine the stress of knowing the ship you're on is sinking, knowing you may not live to see tomorrow, thinking about everything and everyone you're possibly leaving behind would cause anxiety and stress at least equal to what you experience when you're in "danger" of vomiting.

I know the feeling of thinking "I'd rather die than vomit." I've thought it myself so many times before however I know that truly, I'd rather suffer through a rough 24 hours of norovirus than to potentially lose my life.

Let's all not forget that the amount of fear caused by a sinking ship would probably offer us similar symptoms of a sv* haha just the thought of going on one is enough to make me feel weird!

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    I've dealt with norovirus before, and even kept from vomiting from it.
    So how did you do this?! My gosh you should get a medal
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 04-05-2016 at 06:16 PM.

Please read my Vomiting FAQ to learn how you can prevent vomiting even when you're severely nauseated: http://emetopobia.byethost15.com/vomiting.html
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Depends on the day. Right now, I'd take my chances with the ship going down. In a couple of weeks when things settle down and I'm feeling in control over my issues again, I'd probably take the virus.

Also, I think I've read that link before but it won't work for me. Everyone I talk to says you can't stop yourself from throwing up, but I'm convinced you can, not only because a couple of you have said you've done it, but because I'd like to think the mind is far more powerful than the body. If you really don't want to throw up, you don't have to, right?

Theropod...I'm not sure holding in your vomit caused you agonizing pain for 2 weeks. From what I've read about noro, the vomiting happens after the virus has already passed through your stomach. So holding it all in wouldn't really be holding in the virus would it? Could it have been the real flu that hit you with a stomach bug at the same time?

Sounds like what you had for two weeks was the flu, all your symptoms fit. The flu can be nasty and no fun at all.

But I would never be faced with that choice as I won't step foot on a ship lol If I were, i would be more concerned about getting sick than it ever sinking. But in reality, I would survive noro. I might not survive a ship wreck, especially because I don't swim well enough to handle the ocean lol

But when I feel sick, I too have the "i'd rather die" mentality :/
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=61 Norovirus doesn't usually occur on ships, it occurs everywhere it is just reported more and quicker if it is on a ship. There are so many cruises each year, most of which do not have noro outbreaks. You only hear about it when it happens, they don't mention all of the many other cruises where people do not get norovirus. And if you look into the figures it is classed as an outbreak if as low as 2% of passengers and crew are infected, if you think about the number of people on some of the cruises, 2% is not that many. Your odds or contracting it are low if you keep up with the usual hand hygiene as once it is onboard the ship puts in all of these measures to eliminate it and stop the spread. If a ship sinks, you could die, but I don't think many people have ever died from norovirus! You may not even v* if you do get it.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

I'm not getting on the ship - ever, do I don't have to worry about it sinking or about getting noro while on it!

Freaky that this is a serious question that we all have to consider pretty intently ...

Noro. Honestly I believe that even if the most fearful person were faced with their possible horrible and painful death from a sinking ship I am sure they would choose the same. :/

Quote Originally Posted by surfer777 View Post
    Also, I think I've read that link before but it won't work for me. Everyone I talk to says you can't stop yourself from throwing up, but I'm convinced you can, not only because a couple of you have said you've done it, but because I'd like to think the mind is far more powerful than the body. If you really don't want to throw up, you don't have to, right?
    Personally I think it depends. For one it depends on how strong your will NOT to throw up is (so that's probably why most non-emetophobic people will tell you it's not possible - most people don't have a strong enough desire/will not to do it like those with emetophobia do.

I've survived many stomach bugs without throwing up. Not because my body didn't try but because I fought so incredibly hard not to. I'd sit by the toilet and just put every ounce of energy I had into fighting the thing my body so badly was trying to do. It works most of the time.

However, I've had 1 stomach bug where it just didn't matter. There was no fighting it.

I don't say that to scare you, because having something that bad is RARE. I only bring it up because I don't think it's the best way to go about things - believing you can 100% guarantee that you won't every vomit because that's almost certainly not true. Chances are we will all have to face the big scary event of vomiting at some point in our lives. So instead of trying to figure out how you can get through life without vomiting, try to focus more on how you can prepare yourself to handle it with the least amount of anxiety and suffering possible. That's a much more realistic goals to focus your energy on.

On the subject of trying not to v, a few years ago my mindset was definitely 'I'd rather die than v' but a couple of years ago I caught an sv off my daughter and there was no preventing 'it'. After it happened I felt almost euphoric as I hadn't v'ed for so long and I'd fought so hard not to. I had felt so so bad before it happened that when it did happen I just instantly felt so much better, and was so pleased that I'd done what was the worst thing ever and survived!
    I've tried to hold on to the memory of that feeling so that if I (or my worst fear, one of my daughters) feels s* I remember that if it really needs to happen it's best to try to let it happen then it feels much better afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Afdpt View Post
    Realistically, I know I'm going to survive norovirus, I don't know that I'd survive a sinking ship. I imagine the stress of knowing the ship you're on is sinking, knowing you may not live to see tomorrow, thinking about everything and everyone you're possibly leaving behind would cause anxiety and stress at least equal to what you experience when you're in "danger" of vomiting.

I know the feeling of thinking "I'd rather die than vomit." I've thought it myself so many times before however I know that truly, I'd rather suffer through a rough 24 hours of norovirus than to potentially lose my life.
    I totally agree with you. As much as I would hate life and probably be in a bad state for that time I think it's still better than sinking on a ship.