Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Does anyone else not get triggered by animals?

With people, of course I get extremely anxious if they v* or feel sick, but once my dog v* on me and I barely felt any fear. I've also seen videos of animals v* that don't trigger me. Is anyone else not triggered by pets v*?
    "Take a moment, Remind yourself to, Take a moment and find yourself.
    Take a moment to ask yourself if this is how we fall apart.
    But it's not. But it's not. But it's not. But it's not. But it's not.
    It's okay. It's okay. It's okay. It's okay. It's okay.
    You've got nothing. Got nothing. Got nothing. Got nothing to fear.
    I'm here. I'm here. I'm here."
    Here comes a thought

Default Re: Does anyone else not get triggered by animals?

I can't really watch when my cat v*s, but I have no issue with hearing it and/or cleaning it up afterwards (human v* I cannot even hear and I am not sure I'd be able to clean it up either).
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

I've never had a big panic response to it happening with animals (more just a normal grossed out response) but I used to get mildly on edge when it was about to happen. Now it doesn't phase me at all.

I don't really wanna watch, but I can handle it. It's more of a "eww" than a panic. Just last weekend my dog ate some tinfoil and trash (yeah really) and he was vomiting for a few days. We didnt know why at first so I did what I had to do, which was go outside and find where he had recently been sick and pooped and investigate. That's when I found tinfoil.

It was super gross. And I can't believe I did it/handled it so well, but I did. I even had to clean up all the vomit as I was the only one home.

But I was more worried about my dog than anything else. And I knew I couldn't catch it! It makes me feel some anxiety and my heart rate go up, but I can handle it
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

i'm the same way. like i definitely still find it gross, but it doesn't trigger that panic response in me that happens when i see people throwing up. i wonder if that's how non-emets feel when they see a person get sick?

I'm not super triggered by it. Depends on the day, actually. I generally can't stand hearing it no matter what, but seeing it doesn't kill me unless it's my husky. But that may be because it so closely resembles a human. My yorkie, however, doesn't really bother me. It's gross, but it doesn't make me panic. I can clean up after my yorkie, not my husky.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
    I'm not super triggered by it. Depends on the day, actually. I generally can't stand hearing it no matter what, but seeing it doesn't kill me unless it's my husky. But that may be because it so closely resembles a human. My yorkie, however, doesn't really bother me. It's gross, but it doesn't make me panic. I can clean up after my yorkie, not my husky.
    I feel the same way. I can handle my cat vomit more than my large dog. I feel like it's the same reason you have, the large dog seems more like human sick
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Doesn't bother me. I can't really watch it happening but I can clean it up, no problem.

It's gross and turns my stomach a bit but I don't have the 2 days of panic afterwards like I do with human sick because I know I can't catch it.

crd08 I had a similar situation with my dog, he had vomiting for a couple of days and I was about the ring the vet as was getting worried when he threw up one more time and there was "something" in the middle of it that was pink and looked like intestine or something, In a blind panic I ran over and prodded it with a stick to discover it was one of my boyfriends black socks that had been bleached pink and shaped to his food pipe I guess it was gross but he was fine after that.

It grosses me out and I can't touch it or be the one to clean it up, but it's not nearly as bad. When people throw up I get panic attacks, but when my dog throws up I hardly even get mild anxiety.

I have 3 dogs, and 5 cats and it is gross when they do it, but I don't go into anxiety attack mode when they do. One night I was having stomach issues in the night and my dog threw up right outside of my bedroom door on a rug and when i smelt it, I immediately gagged...I couldn't clean it up...I folded the rug and threw it outside to wait and wash it up once I didn't have an upset stomach myself. But I definitely wasn't panicky over it. I wish I could be like that all the time.

I don't really either although it is gross. Not sure what the difference is.

I was just thinking about this the other day. Our dog v* all the time (probably averages about once a week) and it doesn't even phase me. I still think it's disgusting, but I can clean it up, hear it, watch it happen, and not even flinch. Probably because I know what causes it and that I can't catch it, and maybe I'm just used to it now since it happens so often.

Naturally, I am a bit grossed out. I used to flee in a panicked frenzy, but now I can clean up after it, I still can't watch though. Yeah, that is weird. In the grand scheme of things, no, I am hardly fazed.

I've grown up with a longfur cat, so I've been desensitized to animal v all my life. It barely bothers me at all. I am the complete opposite towards humans. If you stand up abruptly and move quickly towards the garbage can (ex. throwing out a wrapper), I'll panic and run before my mind even know what's happening. With the cat, I can easily watch him cough up a hairball then find somebody to clean it up for me.