Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Terrified, Alone, and Trapped

Hello! I am new to this forum and I'm really glad I found it. I've suffered from emetophobia for a long time, but I never knew it had a name. I'm so glad there is a support group online to help people with similar fears as myself. I wanted know how severe my fear is? I've never had the SV (norovirus) thankfully, but whenever it's that time of year I always get SO SCARED. When my friends have it, I avoid them for weeks out of the fear of getting it. I really would love to experience life to the fullest without the fear of v*. Honestly, there hasn't been one day that's gone by where I haven't thought "Am I going to v* today??". My fear really is bothersome and makes me scared about getting married or having children because I physically cannot support people when they are v*ing. I get way too grossed out and n*! It's really strange too, I'm ONLY scared of the SV, nothing else! I'm completely okay with other gore and whatnot, but v*??? Definitely not!!

I'm going on a plane to Washington DC this Sunday and I could really use the reassurance that I'm not going to get the SV while there. I'm super scared that I am or that someone near me is going to get airsick on the plane. I'm super scared and could use support, because i'm really REALLY tired of being trapped because of this fear.

Default Re: Terrified, Alone, and Trapped

Welcome! While I can't predict the future or exactly what your flight will be like, I've flown quite a bit since going to school a flight away from home and have had a whole plethora of airplane experiences that will hopefully qualm your fears! In a typical year, I'll fly by myself maybe 12 times (so 6 round-trip flights), plus any long-haul flight I take on vacation over the summer. Just looking back at the most recent 50 or so flights i've taken, some have been super turbulent, some have had no turbulence-and I have never seen/heard/been around anyone who had to v*! Truthfully in my 22 years of flying I can't even remember anyone ever v*ing near me, getting air sick or anything, so I'm sure your flight will be v* free as well.

If you're more prone to motion-sickness (like my Mom) I would highly recommend something like Dramamine! It has anti-emetic properties, and my Mom's always said it relaxes her quite a bit

Default Re: Terrified, Alone, and Trapped

Thanks so much! This was definitely a relief. I haven't been on a plane in such a long time that I wasn't sure if airsickness was common or not.