Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Help

Hybrid View

Default Help

I'm new to this. I've always had the phobia, but it's gotten much more severe since I recently had a baby (he's 3 months old). My daughter is 4 and I constantly worry about her getting s* - which in turn would spread through the family. It's literally all I think about. Anyway, recently a kid v* at school, and it seems like it's running it's course through her pre-school. I lay awake at night and wait for something bad to happen. Any suggestions on how to handle this would be great. It consumes me.

kb212 Guest

Default Re: Help

I was the same way. I had always been scared to v myself, but it didn't consume my thoughts, and I didn't feel like everything was covered in germs until I had my second kid. Once he was born, I became the same way, terrified my oldest would get him sick. Here I am, 6 years and another kid later and the only thing that helped me was meds. About a year ago I was put on an SSRI and have Xanax for panic attacks. They have helped me so much. I was so anti medicine, plus I was breastfeeding so I didn't want my baby getting any. But now, I have way less everyday anxiety. Almost none at all. Right now my 3 year old is sick with what my 5 year old recently had and taking the Xanax really helps with the panic. I will still clean like a maniac but I'm calmer. And it feels so much better to not be shaking, crying, jaw clenched, chest hurting with anxiety. I'm sure there are other options out there too, like therapy, but your situation reminded me of myself so I wanted to chime in. I hope your kiddos stay healthy!