Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Really fighting not to v*

Came home from work a bit early due to severe n*. Taken max dose of anti-emetics and mild tranquilisers but am struggling to stop it happening. Been feeling this way for past 7 or 8 hrs buts its just getting worse. I feel so sick I could cry. Now I'm also having a major panic attack too. Someone help talk me down please x

Default Re: Really fighting not to v*

How are you feeling now? Have you been exposed recently? I sometimes have days where I'll feel very nauseous, but nothing will come of it. I don't know what causes it, and it's always unexpected. I'm sure it will pass soon.
    You have no idea what it's like living inside my head.

Hey Claire, how are you feeling now?

Was there any strange food you'd eaten lately or people in your life who have been ill? Are you running a fever? Perhaps it is just anxiety. There were times I v* and I didn't feel that "n*". I put it in quotes because for whatever reason my anxiety n* is pretty gnarly - when I v* it was a very instinctual "I know what's about to happen" type of panic and I have been d* hours prior - but the n* wasn't really bad, it was more stomach cramp. My n* is severe mostly when my anxiety ramps up. Perhaps that is what is going on with you at the moment

My remedies are a hot shower, ice cold water to sip on, a heating pad on my tummy and a cool wash cloth on my neck along with netflix, funny or interesting youtube videos or browsing facebook/reddit/the internet. Just relaxing and trying to take my mind off of things. I know it is so cliche but if it is nerves you gotta try to calm down or you'll work yourself into a state.

Thanks both. Its a bit more settled now but Im still not feeling well. Tbh this is the closest I've actually come in a long time. The bouts of nausea were so severe I just didnt know what to do with myself. Taken another dose of meds and these seemed to have helped for the time being at least. I haven't felt well on and off for a couple of weeks with aches and the worse headache and aching body but the nausea today was something else. I was in work dealing with a patient when I suddenly had to just leave him there whilst I ran outside for fresh air - that was a first! It did suddenly get worse about half hour after eating my lunch. Hoping the worse is over but am too scared to sleep in case I wake up and v*. When I'm awake I like to think I have some control and can quickly take meds or use a wet cloth on back of my neck if things get so bad again.

Whatever it was, the worst is probably over now. Are you sleepy from the phenergan? I find it very difficult to stay awake after taking it. Keep your mind occupied.
    You have no idea what it's like living inside my head.

It's good to hear you're feeling a bit better - that is a good sign. I've had horrid bouts of n* due to my anxiety but in the moment my mind tricks me into thinking I will actually v* and I panic. I had strings of panic for weeks in the wintertime and it was dreadful to say the least. You say you've felt on/off for a few weeks now, to me that sounds either like anxiety or something health related that you should bring up to a doctor if it is interfering with activities or producing other symptoms. But the ones you listed - body and head ache, nausea are all tension and anxiety

When you feel slightly off, or there is an external trigger, it can get your nerves worked up which sets of n* which starts a terrible cycle. To break the cycle you have to remove the trigger. No amount of anti-emetics or wash clothes will keep the feeling at bay. Also if you are prone to panic attacks and have been getting them lately (my attacks always came with n*, nervousness, body aches and gurgling stomach) know that once you defuse the fear of v* and/or panic, the panic will subside as will the symptoms. I had to scoff at my n*, which is VERY difficult! But it worked for me. Heck I even had d* and n* at the same time while anxious. But you produce more panic and physical symptoms by being afraid. It's all in mindfulness.
    If you haven't heard of it already, definitely look into Hope and Help for your nerve by Claire Weekes. The woman is an angel and I keep a copy of the book in my purse. There is a whole page on v* and n* and the fear it produces.

I take phenergan regularly so it doesn't make me that sleepy. Sometimes I wish it would cos I'd like nothing more than to sleep through these horrible feelings. I have recently been given HRT due to menopausal symptoms and they seem to be giving me massive headaches. I'm trying to persevere with them cos the hot flushes were draining me so much. I have also been around people with a flu type virus so that could be another cause of the aches. However it was the sudden onset of the nausea that freaked me out. It was so overwhelming and so very very real. I have worked at my present job for 5 years and this was the first time I totally lost control and had to basically leave things and go outside for some air. I was even planning on getting a taxi home cos I knew I couldnt face the bus but thankfully my daughter came to take me home. Praying to God that this is over and I can get a few hours sleep before going to work. I have 5 hours max left before my alarm goes off. Thank you all for taking the trouble to write, its much appreciated x