Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Tattoos and Terrified!

OK, so I'm planning on getting two tattoos done tomorrow. The appointment's booked for 10:00a.m., I know exactly what I'm having and I should be looking forward to it. I've been wanting these tattoos for a long, long time. Many years, in fact. But now I think I'm going to chicken out.
    Let me explain a little about my situation!
    OK, so I obviously have emetophobia. I'm not ready for therapy, though, so please *please* don't suggest it. I have enough in my life already, in terms of daily stressors and anxiety. I am also autistic, which only stirs the shit further. Ho hum. Anyway, a long time ago I decided to have 'Carpe diem' tattooed on my inner wrist, as well as a small blue dot on the inside of my elbow. They might not make sense to you, but they make sense to me and I really want them. However, I am terrified of the actual procedure.
    Pain? I don't give a shit. But feelingThatfeeling? You know what I mean by 'That feeling'! Or actually being...getting...'S' (if you see what I'm getting at)? That thought is unimaginable. I am so frightened, because I have heard about some people getting 'S' with tattoos. Especially as I don't know whether to eat beforehand (I was hoping not to), what to eat if I do eat (which you are supposed to) and whether this outcome - the worst possible outcome - is actually going to happen?
    I am so scared. Do I chicken out, or not?
    Please help me.

Default Re: Tattoos and Terrified!

I ate before. Not an ounce of n, and it wasn't very painful to me on my wrist. I would suggest the blue dot first if it's the smallest. I think you'd be more likely to feel bad if you don't eat.

Quote Originally Posted by TryingToBeBrave View Post
    I ate before. Not an ounce of n, and it wasn't very painful to me on my wrist. I would suggest the blue dot first if it's the smallest. I think you'd be more likely to feel bad if you don't eat.
    Thanks so much for your reply, TryingToBeBrave! I am much more at ease now. I think I'm going to eat something light like a banana, a raw fruit bar and some oat biscuits. I ended up telling my mum about getting my tattoos tomorrow (I was planning to surprise her, so I just told her about the blue dot and have kept the wrist tat to myself!) but at the end of the day, I needed some motherly support and she was a star! Your reply has also set me at rest completely! I'm just going to go ahead, enjoy it, and have fun! Thanks so much xxx

I got a semicolon on my wrist, which is small. It felt more like burning or stinging than pain, but truly did not affect my stomach. Glad your mom is there as a support!

I have 5 tattoos , never felt nauseous when I got them. I even had a fever when I got one done in Vegas a few years ago and was still fine. My second last tattoo was a cover up that required two sessions of 3 hours and I was FINE! There is nothing to be afraid of. I've never seen or heard of anyone getting sick from a tattoo. I have heard of people passing out from piercings but not tattoos. Best wishes with your tattoo!

What I'd do is not eat til they're done so even if you feel like you're digesting, you won't panic! Go get a meal when you've done them, you're brave!

I currently have 3 tattoos including one on my wrist and I did not feel n* with any of them. I would recommend eating something before you go in though as the adrenalin will kick in and it can make you feel a little faint if you have low blood sugar, but there is no reason for it to make you n*... especially if you are good with pain. I think it is the pain that makes people s* rather than the procedure itself. From experience though I never found them to be that painful; they feel like a burn, black is more painful than colour and it hurts more going over a bone. Think of all the people that are completely covered in them... they can't be that bad if they keep going back for more!
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

I've got 5 tattoos and have never felt n. I've also been many times with friends and have never seen anyone n or v.

The guy who did mine made me go eat a pretzel. He would not let me do it on an empty stomach. I do NOT suggest not eating...Your blood sugar could drop and that is what will make you feel sick and possibly faint. And that's not to scare you, just make sure you eat something haha I ate a pretzel before, and was totally fine! It hurts more over bone, but it's not bad. I might actually be getting another one this weekend and I'm nervous even though I have done it before. I know what I want, just no idea where.

It's a rush, enjoy it! There's a reason people are "addicted" to them
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

So how did you do?
    I loooove tattoos! My whole back is done, my wrist, my foot, my ankle and a toe ring I'd have more even thought of a sleeve but money ugh they cost money and my back isn't even finished with all I want lol!

Definitely eat something! I didn't once and it was just for a quick touch up but it would have gone better had I eaten something. Tattoos are awesome though and I plan on getting a ton more, even with my emetophobia being severe. It's something that takes my mind off my phobia and I can relax for a bit (in between the breaks haha). I eventually want to get something on my arm or wrist about the struggle I go through with this phobia and how it doesn't define me and I'm a stronger person for dealing with it. Still on the lookout for a quote but I feel like having a reminder you made it far is awesome, and it's something to get you through the little pain you feel during the process! Plus it's a beautiful part of you forever. Eat something light, bring a soda (you don't want your blood sugar to drop) and all will go amazingly!

Wow, I wanted to get a small one and never even thought of this. I am more worried about the ink. Is it dangerous? Does it cause cancer or anything? I read that the ink is not regulated and they can use really bad stuff. How do you know if where you are going is okay? My first time, haha, and I don't know much...thank you.