Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default About how many times a day do you clean your hands?

Come on, most of us clean our hands all the time. If I have just been sitting around for half an hour on my phone, for example, I may just go wash them for no reason.

Default Re: About how many times a day do you clean your hands?

I used to wash them excessively until they were dry, cracked and bleeding. Now I only wash them if I am preparing food, about to eat food, immediately after getting home after being out, after using the toilet and after i've touched something dirty/germy like the wheelie bin or cat litter tray.

I've stopped washing them randomly although i must wash them about 20 times when i'm cooking a meal because i'm a bit paranoid about cross contamination.

My hands are now lovely and soft

At work I wash after using the restroom and before I eat lunch.
    At home, same thing - after using the bathroom and before eating, as well as when I get home from work, or running errands, the gym etc. Anywhere really.

I would sometimes randomly wash my hands but usually one time after I get home or before I eat and I am good. On average I would say around 10 times a day. I also sanitize my phone though, about once a week.

Thumbs down Re: About how many times a day do you clean your hands?

Yes I wash my hands a lot! I think I do so anytime I have touched something germy or even THOUGHT about something germy. Unfortunatly, my hands are cracked and bleeding because of this!

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge1017 View Post
    Yes I wash my hands a lot! I think I do so anytime I have touched something germy or even THOUGHT about something germy. Unfortunatly, my hands are cracked and bleeding because of this!
    That's what mine were like and it was only when the then moderator on here said that dry cracked hands actually harbour MORE bacteria than smooth soft hands (the germs get trapped in the cracks) that I realised I had to sort it out. Moisturise mousturise and moisturise some more (with A nonscented cream to begin with or it'll sting like hell) and reduce the frequency of washing a bit and it doesn't take all that long until your hands are in much better shape.

My skin is so dry from always washing my hands (or hand sanitizing wipes when soap and water aren't available, like at lunch time in my school). If it splits (mostly winter only), usually along my knuckles, it doesn't usually take more than two days to repair itself under a small bandaid.

All the time!!! I work in a dental office as the practice manager, so I am not necessarily with the patients, but the patient's use all of the same doors as we do. So if I go to the bathroom, I will wash my hands, but then when I am going to my office and if I have touched a door that a patient has touched, I will wash my hands again once I am in my office (my office is right off of the break room that has a sink) or will use sanitizer. I make sure that I wash my hands at least before I eat, before touching my food, after the bathroom and if I am cleaning or they get dirty.

That's good that you keep clean, especially with the environment you're in Sarah.

Every time before and after I eat, after using the bathroom, if I think I touched something gross and the occasional random one when I think I need to

I wash my hands alot, even about 3 times before I eat (just to make sure). I'm around animals alot so I probably have to wash my hands all the time regardless. My workplace is where I overwash my hands as I work with members of the public and handle dirty money and other stuff hundreds of people have touched.

Hand washing is literally a key action towards our (Emetophobic's) survival. The only thing that we can actually control. Seriously, If somebody offers me food I will walk away, clean my hands, then come back to eat. Ne'er take any chances ever. Don't bite your nails, don't eat that food, don't do anything without first cleaning your hands!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is accepting of your emetophobia.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

I work for the NHS and I wash my hands constantly as I feel that everything is contaminated. We have to use alcohol gel on the wards but it is not effective against norovirus so I prefer hot soapy water. I get embarrassed by how many times I wash my hands at work and I am sure people are talking about me so I try to hide it. I go through loads of hand cream as my hands are so dry and can crack and bleed if I am not careful. Wouldn't like to count how many times I wash my hands.

I always feel that everything is contaminated, and wash my hands because if it. Washing your hands thoroughly is always the best way to get rid of noro. People just think you're afraid of germs in general - let them talk. It's your sanity that's at stake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

I wash my hands pretty often. Since having kids I tend to need the loo more often so therefore wash my hands each time, lol! I wash them before preparing food, during preparing food and after preparing food. Before washing up, after washing up (dont have a dishwasher!) And if I've done something I consider germy like cleaning the bathroom, putting rubbish out or changing the cat litter I wash them 2-3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by anna81 View Post
    I wash my hands pretty often. Since having kids I tend to need the loo more often so therefore wash my hands each time, lol! I wash them before preparing food, during preparing food and after preparing food. Before washing up, after washing up (dont have a dishwasher!) And if I've done something I consider germy like cleaning the bathroom, putting rubbish out or changing the cat litter I wash them 2-3 times.
    That's really good! Always stay on top of your hand washing!

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

I'm camping this weekend, which means even more hand washing. The skin around my wrists is very dry and cracked, and even tastes slightly like blood on the top left. Knuckles going under next and eventually my whole hands will be splitting.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

During the week - frequently because of my job in healthcare.

When I'm not working I only wash my hands after using the bathroom or before cooking and eating (or if they get dirty for some other reason.)

That's good! I wish I could just relax with my hand washing to when I actually need to (not randomly). I came home from camping yesterday, and only my wrists (which aren't used to such often, harsh washing) are red, irritated, and scabbed. At camping, because it's camping, I wash all the way up my arms and I wash even more frequently.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.