Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Teen Forum??

My 14 year old niece is an emet, it's so bad she can't go to school. Her mum has tried everything but the kids is really frightened and it's actually difficult to force a 14 year old into the building - which is what the school thinks she should do. Anyway, I think this site would be great for her, as she would realise that she's not the weirdo that some believe.

My concern though is where she would fit into the discussions, she is only a kid after all. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a teen forum where the younger site members could liaise and chat to each other? To discuss the issues which are real for them at their stage in life? It could still be moderated and they could obviously continue to post on all the other forums, but a little community of their own might be a more supportive environment.

Anyway, what do you think? Or are there major issues I'm overlooking here? I do tend to pick up ideas and run with them without necessarily thinking them through!

Well, I'm fifteen, and I know there are a bunch of other teens on here. I think it's good that we're in the big forum just because then we can get to know the other members and get help from everybody, and make relationships. I think that if i had a separate forum, i would almost feel alienated. However, that is just my opinion, and i'm sure that others would find a teen forum great! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Also, i hope that your niece does choose to come talk...I would love to meet her!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I think thats an awesome idea. Im 16 and i also realize there are a whole bunch of teens out there who need support, especially during highschool cause its probably one of the worst things an emet can go through.

I understand what spilled_milk is saying cause i find its better to be able to talk to a range of people about being emet, and often older people have had more experience with dealing with it. But i can also understand how it could be a bit overwhelming to go straight into talking to everyone of all ages.

Nice idea, hope to see your niece on here soon!
    (billy)

I think you're both right here, I do think it would be important to remain on the main forums as that's where the bulk of the discussion takes place, but I just thought that somewhere where you could meet up with other teens, mainly to talk about non-emet issues might be useful. I hope no-one thinks I was trying to banish youth from the exisitng forums - that wasn't my intention at all as I know this damn phobia is ageless - I just thought an additional 'room' where you know you'll find people close to your own age might help.

Yeh well i recon its a great idea. If only someone could organize setting it up.....
    (billy)

yeah i agree, im 14 myself, and sometimes feel some of my issues seem a bit childish... maybe another board on this forum as an optional place to go for us kiddies :P
    <font color=GREEN>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    happiness is a way of travel -- not a destination
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    </font>