Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Cruise

Default Cruise

Hello all,
    Because my little brother is turning 10, we are being taken on a Disney Cruise. While a disney cruise isn't exactly my cup of tea, I am still excited because who wouldn't want to cruise to a remote area. They seem rather accommodating of my dietary needs (I have celiac disease, I am lactose intolerant, I am corn intolerant, and I have a minor peanut intolerance.) However, as soon as I found out, two things popped into my mind. One, I am scared to contract a food born illness from the boat food, and I am expected by family to at least try seafood. They know that my allergies are limiting and figure that since I can't eat much, I can try seafood. Sorry, no. While I have little problem telling my parents this, and they know why I have no interest in doing so, my grandparents, who I spend little time with, don't. This was my only issue until about two days ago. Of course I had read passenger reviews to check for anything regarding food poisoning ( I found food, but enough to worry an emetophobic), but I had never researched very far into depth. As soon as I began checking the news, I saw about 10 articles regarding the Noro virus on the Disney Cruise and I worried for my safety. 97 passengers have fallen ill (from what they know) and they suspect more. This is 3% of the passengers (once again enough to worry an emetophobic) who had fallen ill. I was wndering how you think I could prevent getting sick, how likely you think it is to get sick, and finally, if you think I will. Thank you so much for your help in advance and I apologize for the long post.
    Worry is like a rocking chair, it will give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere.

-smudge1017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Cruise

First of all holy crap! I'm jealous of you! I HATE cruises but I'd LOVE to take my kids on a Disney cruise!
    Secondly don't stress about the food. I've been on a cruise and ate off the buffet type line and was fine. As far as noro on cruises, 1 I think they are blown out of proportion because there is so much negativity brought on cruise ships and illnesses now a days and 2 if you are going on the same vessel that has the outbreak. When it ports it will get scrubbed down before they let another cruise set sail so you should be good! And 3% while is scary is absolutely NOTHING in the overall picture! Be diligent wash your hands before you eat or touch your face. Cruise ships are very strict on employees being sick because they are under such a watchful eye all the time that NO ONE sick will be near food guaranteed!