Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Finding peace?

Default Finding peace?

Hello, I havent posted in a while but I need help. I think I have severe emetophobia and it is ruining my life! I am turning 24 at the end of the year and on the road to 30. I am scared that my young adult years are spent worrying about it rather than doing what a normal young adult does. I cherish the time I have and once I pass 30, I will never live my 20s again. On top of emetophobia I suffer from severe anxiety due to the phobia, also ibs and functional dyspepsia. I dont know about anyone else but I have trouble distinguishing n* from harmless tummy upsets and bloating, which you get regularly if you suffer from the above. My gastroenterologist said that ibs and acute dyspepsia will not lead to v*. The thing is everytime I get one of my ibs/dyspepsia symptoms, I think it is n* related to food poisoning or norovirus. Now I am in overdrive with a stash of antiemetics and researching every possible way to prevent food poisoning and norovirus. I am so scared about something that probably wont happen for years but I fear it is just around the corner. Any suggestions on what I can do I feel there is nothing that can cure my phobia?

Default Re: Finding peace?

Hey, I hear you. Im 22 with a young son but I feel like he is missing out on so much due to my anxiety. I find that just thinking clearly and figuring out the difference between real n* and anxiety n* also really helps. Im in the chat if you ever wanna talk to someone x

In all honesty I have been considering going on medicine for my anxiety. It's getting out of control and I am tired of it consuming me. I go to my doctor in a couple of months for a check up and am going to talk to her about it. I haven't told many people because I am embarrassed and feel like people will think I'm insane. Sadly some days I do feel insane

I know how you feel, but talking to people about it really does help. Even though it's embarrassing, I told my boyfriend because I feel consumed by my fear so much of the time. Getting on anxiety medication and also going to a therapist has been helping me, and I encourage anyone dealing with emetephobia to talk to someone about it.

Thanks everyone, I don't feel so alone. Thats the big problem deciphering what is actual n* or anxiety n* and its a slow process. I need some anxiety meds, my dr has kept me on lexapro, which treated my depression years ago. I no longer have depression, only anxiety so I feel I'm on the wrong meds! I used to be proud of having emetophobia as I thought I was almost invincible to v* but the anxiety isnt worth it anymore. It's out of control. I have started CBT with a psychologist hopefully that changes things!