Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Safe and popular movies and books

Please share any books and movies that are completely safe! If they're ALMOST safe, describe where people should watch out.

Default Re: Safe and popular movies and books

There are tons but all in different genres haha from my own personal favourites, The Hunger Games... A Cinderella story, 500days of summer, click(there's a scene where Adam Sandler gets a very bad cough but it's not triggering) ummmm monster in law, the perfect man, wedding planner....ok this is harder than I thought, Hollywood always puts something about v* in their films! Not even funny!

All I can think of are some Star Wars movies and several nature documentaries (such as Galápagos), along with most episodes of game shows involving the brain such as Wheel of Fortune. It's so hard to find something safe! I just hate how the world finds v so funny and doesn't even know or care about how our lives and so limited due to this!

There are too many to name. There's also many with it as well. Try to do a search for them before you watch. I had a list of all movies I could find with puke scenes, but it's outdated now. Here's a list to help:
    http://emetophobiahelp.tumblr.com/movies
    FYI, not sure 100% on these. In Babadook, there's not an actual puke scene. The boy just says he is going to be sick. You never hear or see it. Silly movie anyway, don't recommend.
    I am trying to recall the puke scene in Arachnophobia, but I can't remember it. Must not have been anything serious or traumatic. Same with The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Can't seem to recall. A great, but very sad film. I teared up at the end, but I'm a crybaby. Haven't seen the live Alice in Wonderland movie, but cartoon is fine and the original Carrie is also fine (haven't seen the remake, but remakes almost always suck).
    Grease is another on the list that only mentions that someone got sick, but you never hear or see it. And I cannot recall any puke scenes in the last HP movies though it's listed. In the 2nd movie Ron burps up slugs and in the 6th you hear a boy throw up on Snape's shoes. The 7th and 8th films, just can't recall at all. I think they put the wrong films there. Another to add to the F list is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Basically, the list is semi-accurate. Some are right, others I am certain are wrong.
    Nearly all Disney/Pixar movies that I recall are safe as well.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

I've watched all the Harry Potter movies many times, so they don't trigger me anymore (usually). All I know of as being safe from person expirience are Star Wars, Forrest Gump, and several nature documentaries.

Almost every Harry Potter is triggering, but I watched them all so many times that I usually handle them just fine. They never show it. As for the burping slugs, I raise gastropods, so no problem there! The sound of the boy in the 6th one is pretty fake despite the realistic aspect in the fantasy. Other then that, they just talk about it a lot.

The slug thing really destroyed me back when I was 9, although I had no idea what emetophobia was...I just remember eating sweets at the cinema and it did The Trigger I always get when I hear someone....which is basically mild n* and a headache...but it's gross....

Watched the Karen Carpenter story last night which was fascinating but there was a realistic v* scene and I tackled it with zero trigger...but she made herself sick and somehow it didn't seem as bad....

I don't recall every HP movie having a triggering scene. The books have more, but the movies took a lot of them out. Unless am forgetting something, I can recall "puke" scenes in the 2nd and 6th movie. I used to not be able to watch the 2nd movie at that part because of that scene. The first movie I could see when Harry swallows the snitch and looks like he may be ill and they even say "he looks like he's going to be sick", but of course there's no vomit at all. Beyond that I can't recall anything.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

I'm pretty sure all harry potter movies and books at least mention v. You never see actual v, but 1 and 2 and 6 are pretty close. Just dont think too much of it and you should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is accepting of your emetophobia.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Books not to read: the truth and other lies by Sascha arango. Just starting reading to try to ease some anxiety and page 2 is actually so terrible. Gave me thoughts I hadn't imagined before

I finished 'the nest' last week there is a small scene with a pregnant woman v*. Overall the book was really good, thankfully the v* portion wasn't too graphic.

I started reading fifty shades a few years back. That one was a no go with too much v* around page 40.

Is there a tumblr list for unsafe books? It would be awesome to know what to stay away from. I almost find books more distressing than movies because the descriptions can be so vivid and make me add possible anxious scenarios to my mind

There are a lot (5?) of lists of safe books, shows, and movies, yet I don't consider them organized or accurate. I'm planning on using this forum as a way that multiple people can ocaborage so that others can feel secure in knowing what is actually safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

I hate how a lot of films have 'comedy v'! It's not flippin funny!! The Harry Potter slug scene put me off ever watching another Harry Potter film!! I hate slugs with a passion so that was an awful combination for me!!
    Haven't really watched a lot of films lately, Trainwreck had a v scene, when the boyfriend is doing the knee operation, she starts gagging so if it bothers you on TV loom away for a few seconds! Was disappointed with this film, nowhere near as good as I expected.
    Just watched the new Dad's Army film, that was safe (I did fall asleep for about 10 mins though, lol!)

NOTE: FX channel has a possibly triggering commercial for the premiere of "sex & drugs & rock & roll." A girl suddenly hunched over and chokes on her own v. I'd recommend for everyone to avoid the channel for a week or two and to stay clear away from this show!

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Independence Day Resurgence is safe. Saw the trailer for the new Ghostbusters film (in IMAX 3d) and that is NOT safe!! Looked like the ghost was v'ing ectoplasm out of the screen, nasty very very nasty!! Although I must say it looks like the 3d effects will be AWESOME!!

The old ghostbusters, 1 & 2, are good classics! I'll take your warning and not watch the new one. I was worried about that. The graphics are there, but i'm sure it wont be as good as the classics.

I know Grey Anatomy seems like it wouldnt be safe at all, but you can easily avoid all the v scenes (and even mentions) if you know where they are!

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

I'm planning on seeing the new Ghostbusters when it comes out. I just saw the trailer on normal TV and it also has the v scene, it didn't seem as bad and hopefully I will be able to look away when that part comes on. They've made the Ghostbusters women this time!!

Just watched secret life of pets and there's a scene where a cat coughs up a collar!
    I hardly ever go out but been to the cinema twice this weekend!

I go out to the cinema/movies about twice a year. I'm sure the secret life of pets is fine because it's animated and it's animals, not people. Although way above our age level, my friend and I want to see that if it pops up on netflix because we love animals and it'll be cute. Like minions. Below age level but cute.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

It was soooo funny! I took my daughters but I'd definitely watch it again on my own!!

Book NOT to read (although the only triggers in the movie are verbal, as they thankfully cut that whole part, and even the character's existence, out): Divergent (book 1 of divergent series). I just re-watched the movie last night and was reminded of the horribly unsafe book! A guy stabs another guy in the eye, and then somebody who cant take it v's (in the dark). The main character them cleans it up.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Good books are a lifeline for students like me. They offer a break from the academic grind and inspire creativity. They're like a breath of fresh air, enhancing our learning process. When it comes to reliable sources, I often turn to https://www.nursingpaper.com/ for academic assistance. It's important to strike a balance between textbooks and enjoyable reads to excel in studies.
    Last edited by Robbie A Carlson; 09-22-2023 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks everyone for the tips, found a lot of useful stuff for myself