Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Lightbulb It just happened..first time in 7 years. Help!

Hi

Today, I took my medication on an empty stomach. Usually, I feel somewhat n* when I do that (also usually fuelled by anxiety caused by my phobia), but when I flush it with fluids or eat something, I feel better. Well, I tried my normal routine- drink something clear and cold, practiced mindfulness meditation and principles I learned in cognitive behavioural therapy plus I went for a walk. Embarrassing enough, my last resort for my n* and anxiety is to call my mom. She's always been supportive and understanding. I did all of that, and I still felt n*- then I ended up getting s*.

Right now, my anxiety is practically gone and I'm starting to feel better. NOW my crazy head is worried that I'm going to struggle really badly with my phobia. It seems after every time I get s*, I experience anxiety and panic related to emetophobia that is much worse.

So I'm not going to let it get out of control..which is why I'm writing this-

Do any of you have any tips that work well? Right now, I need a dose of reality, before my head becomes wrapped up in my anxiety.

Thanks for any advice.

Matt

Default Re: It just happened..first time in 7 years. Help!

Wow, sounds like you handled it really well!! That's a great start! I find that after "it" happens, my mind keeps replaying it, and obsessing over what, how, when, why....which just ramps up the anxiety. SO, the best thing for you to do is keep reminding yourself how well you did, that you only got sick because of your meds, not anything else, and keep away from replaying it all. It's hard but really try to keep positive, keep on top of your thoughts, tell yourself how strong you are, how capable you are, and how you can handle this. Hope you are doing okay now, and best to you Matt!!!

I mean...I know I am pretty impressed and proud of you. you felt sick, you did everything you know to do and when that didn't work you were brave and allowed it to happen. most of us would have panicked already but you are strong enough to stop yourself. Id say you are already doing exactly what you need to do in order to combat this phobia! it also sounds like that medication is quite harsh and the cause of your illness so theres no worry for a repeat.

good job making it through! try to to focus on innocuous details from the day. it was the medication. now you know to be more careful or try something else. either way, you didn't freak out and that's a big triumph!

Sounds like you handled it like a pro, well done!!!

I just want to add, there's nothing wrong with reaching out to someone to talk to (even your mom ). I think it's good to talk thru things at times like this. No matter who it is, it'll make you feel a little less alone and (for me, when I call someone ) hopeless.