Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When I v* I NEED to be alone. Seriously. Don't talk to me. Don't look for me. Don't ask about me. I am non existant until it is over. If you invade, it only makes things worse.

Anyone else feel this way? I always feel like a mutant since everyone loves to be nursed back to health....

I'm with you...I don't want anyone around and maybe it is that loss of control thing, but I never really knew that was a side part of this EMET thing. I truly don't want anyone near me or near the house.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

me either...I don't even like my dogs to be aROUND OR to talk to someone on the phone.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I am the EXACT same way!!!!!! Exactly! Nobody can be near me, nobody can touch me, ask how I feel,etc. I even havethe poor dogshooed away from me when I'm sick. (He's so concerned about me because I'm pacing and he knows there is something wrong with me.) But I can't have anyone near me while I "fall apart." The only person that could possibly see me sick is my mother. But that is only if it comes to that. Otherwise, just me. I can totally relate. And the more people try to comfort me and ask me how I feel or how I am, the more scared and agitated I get. Edited by: NCsmile6
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I cant even have anyone in the same room as me if I feel like I could be sick....

I'm completely the same, in fact I think I would probably be OK if I were to v* alone with no-one to see or hear. I wouldn't like it and I would probably panic to some extent, but this is nothing compared to what would happen if there were people near me. My parents have been down to visit me, and new year's eve I felt really sick. I just needed to get away so I went out in the dark alone, and stuck to areas where I know no-one would see me (potentially dangerous for other reasons I guess, but the fear of v* overrides the fear of attack, strangely!).

All of you who feel this way, do you suffer from social phobia too? Is your emet worse when you're in places with people and no easy escape route?

i'm a bit the opposite. i have to have my mum with me, but she cant touch me or be too close, but i need to know shes there. mind you, im only a kid so maybe that will change as i grow up. i can't bare the thought of nyone else, but i really need my mummy [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Edited by: jenneth
    <font color=GREEN>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    happiness is a way of travel -- not a destination
    </font>

Suze,

Yes I do suffer from social anxiety. And I do think it has some to do with the fact that I don't want others to see me lose composure or lose control. I think it is definetly scarier if I feel sick in a public place, because I feel I can't express my fear properly (panic, pace, dig my fingernails into my skin, do my other "preventative measures") as much as I'd want to if that makes sense.
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Thank God I am not the only one! I need to be alone and in the bathtub! I know its really crazy, but it's the only thing that stops the n*. A super hot bath tub! I will stay in there for hours, I have even fallen asleep in there before! I have really never v* before. My kids have and my friends have, and we all had the same thing. I felt likeI could have puked but I never do. Is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by NCsmile6

Suze,

Yes I do suffer from social anxiety. And I do think it has some to do with the fact that I don't want others to see me lose composure or lose control. I think it is definetly scarier if I feel sick in a public place, because I feel I can't express my fear properly (panic, pace, dig my fingernails into my skin, do my other "preventative measures") as much as I'd want to if that makes sense.

me too, being in public always makes things worse. i think I am very self-conscious, thinking people are going to think I am strange...and funny you mentioned the digging your nails in your skin thing...I also do that. it is so weird how the things you do that you think are SO strange...there is someone else who does the same thing or feels the same way. Makes me not feel like such a freak!
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I'm like that too. When I feel sick I have to be alone and if I'm out in public I'm usually pacing back and fourth and people look at me weird. I don't know why but when I feel sick I just have to go home, back to my apartment and be alone. Usually I feel better once I get there, I've never been TRUELY N* in my own apartment *knock on wood* but I know exactly how you guys feel.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I am the same way too....NCSmile6 hit the nail on the head!!!
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Yes! What Neha said...I have social anxiety too. I have to be alone if that ever happened. I'm too self conscious. Hmm...this phobia got worse when I was in the third/fourth grade about and at first it was like "Hope I dont get sick" That was at first said about school and I thought "anywhere but school" But then it turned to "Only at home" Now over the years its "Please never let me be sick" ^^;;
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

i don't even think that far.... I just don't except the fact that I will v*

but in the past I've always wanted someone there

I definately agree,
    when I am v* sick I don't want anyone near me, just want to be left
    alone to do what I need to do and not have any odd looks or anything. I
    haven't been sick since I've been married, and so I'm not sure how
    it'll go with my husband around, though he is very understanding and
    caring. I'm not sure how I'd react to that.</font></span>

Quote Originally Posted by samara's on tv

I'm like that too. When I feel sick I have to be alone and if I'm out in public I'm usually pacing back and fourth and people look at me weird. I don't know why but when I feel sick I just have to go home, back to my apartment and be alone. Usually I feel better once I get there, I've never been TRUELY N* in my own apartment *knock on wood* but I know exactly how you guys feel.

~Monica

Yes, that is how I am. If I'm in the public (especially when at work) and I'm feeling like crap, I feel like I'm squished between a huge crowd of people in a hot, dark, uncomortable room. I, too, dig my nails into my skin and pace. I NEED to be in my house. My safety net which I also call my "cage". Boooooo.

Another emet here who wants to be ALONE when nauseous. I try and be so quiet so as not to wake anyone if I get up to go watch tv in the middle of the night (a ritual I have always done when I felt sick). A few years ago my husband actually heard me get up and he came downstairs to see what was wrong and I told him I felt sick so he wanted to stay with me. I finally just had to tell him that him sitting there with me actually made me feel worse! I felt such relief when he went back upstairs to bed. The nausea soon passed and I was able to go back to bed. When I've felt sick at work all I can do is get outside to be alone and in the fresh air. Definitely one who wants to be completely alone when I feel nauseous.

I am the same way. However, I have become more tolerant of my children being around. They really try to take care of me and make me feel better and that often takes my mind off of v*. I guess I don't fear them judging like an adult would.

Feeling sick in public definitely raises the anxiety. I usually stop whatever i'm doing and immediately head home. It doesn't really take away the n*, but it does help alot of my other symptoms.
    A special thank you to my daughter Alyssa. Your strength and courage gives me great inspiration. Where I am weak, you are strong. I will always love you.

I hate the thought of ever being ill anywhere but my own home.

Though when it first started I never wanted to go to school, partly cos I didnt want o be ill there, but partly cos I wanted my mum with me.

So I;m half and half. As much as I hate the thought of someone being with me, I love to think my mums there to look after me.

Last time I got a sv I need my mum there telling me its ok the first few times. and then luckily at the same time she was still asleep cos of a sleeping tablet I figured I was best alone.

xxx.
    <font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

thats so weird i always dig my nails into my skin when i feel sick!

i think generally i would like someone i trust to be there, or no one at all but i would prefer there to be someone there, because i am afraid of fainting at the sight of it i wouldnt want to choke or anything.

Yes, I'm also scared of having people near me, and talking to me when I'm feeling sick, or panicky! I just get worse and worse and just have to say "Please, stop talking!", or just leave the room/house. It's really strange! Sometimes it's nice to have someone calming you down, but when I really do feel n*, I just have to get as far away from everyone as possible, I just can't bear to have someone near me. Its so weird [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

For me, it depends on the degree of nausea. If it's justa little twinge that MIGHT be nausea but probably isn't, I'll take Pepto-Bismol (I don't go anywhere without it), run to the nearest bathroom, and just sit on the toilet and breath deeply until the feeling goes away. But if it's intense,invariably leading to a panic attack, I absolutely cannot be alone. I can't be in a big, crowded room, either--noise and excitement exacerbate my anxiety. Ineed to be in acozy, familiarplace with someonethere to "protect" me, eventhough I know they can'trescue me from my own body. But it definitely helps to talk to someone during a panic attack, to sort of "panic aloud" to thembydescribing how I feel at each phase of the attack. I need them there to help me keep a grip on reality, to tellme the feelings will pass, I don't have to v* if I don't want to, I'm handling the attack well, breathe in, breathe out, etc.Edited by: juliet

Quote Originally Posted by juliet

For me, it depends on the degree of nausea. If it's justa little twinge that MIGHT be nausea but probably isn't, I'll take Pepto-Bismol (I don't go anywhere without it), run to the nearest bathroom, and just sit on the toilet and breath deeply until the feeling goes away. But if it's intense,invariably leading to a panic attack, I absolutely cannot be alone. I can't be in a big, crowded room, either--noise and excitement exacerbate my anxiety. Ineed to be in acozy, familiarplace with someonethere to "protect" me, eventhough I know they can'trescue me from my own body. But it definitely helps to talk to someone during a panic attack, to sort of "panic aloud" to thembydescribing how I feel at each phase of the attack. I need them there to help me keep a grip on reality, to tellme the feelings will pass, I don't have to v* if I don't want to, I'm handling the attack well, breathe in, breathe out, etc.

Actually when I'm having a panic attack (And I know it's just a panic attack) SOMETIMES it helps to have someone with me to describe the feelings to. But if I'm totally N* I can't even TALK to someone on the phone. But if it's just a panic attack sometimes it helps to talk.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I usually have wanted someone there, but someone who will just be there for you, without saying things like, "it's just v*". like my mom or dad! Plus, I need to be at home. I don't have social anxiety, but i guess I do about v*ing

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

when i was three or four i remember getting sv*'s and pulling my hair back in a scrunchie and doing what i had to do. i even took a pot from the kitchen, put a plastic bag in it and placed it next to my bed when i was inpre-school. now that i'm older, i still don't like to be bothered when i'm sick but someone has to be there if i need them. mydad is the same way, but my mom isn't and is constantly asking us what we need and how we feel when we're sick. i get soo frustrated but it's even worse if i need to whine and she isn't there to listen.
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

How do you get through it if you are scared of it...I'm so scared of it..I can't imagine how I'll ever get through it if it happens to me....It scares me to even think about it
    Kathleen
    \"Love may not make the world go round but it sure makes the trip worthwhile\"

I agree. I hate it when other people are around me when I v-. I just want to handle it on my own. The only reason I can figure for it is that I know how afraid I am of v- so the last thing I want to do is expose those around me who I care about to my v- when I don't have to.

I too, have to be at home when I v-. I'd be way too embarrassed to v- anywhere else.

Who'd have thought this was a "thing" with emets?? Wow, and I thought I was the only one. As someone before said, most people love to be looked after.

I need to be free to moan and groan without anyone hearing.

If i feel like v* i feel the same way. I cant stand enyone near. If someone talk to me ore ask me things i will feel even more stressed, and i will feel like i cant prevent v*.

Cant stand people looking at me, cause if i have a fear attack this bad i will do weird things to avoid v*. Although i feel like im "in my own world" and i have to really consentrade and control myself.

If people are around and these things start i will ask them to be guiet and leave me alone. I might almost seem angry ore acting unlikeable.

Absolutely - i feel like i'm going to v* or am having a panic attack then i have got to be alone, preferably outside, with no-one "fussing" - however if i'm ill with a cold or something then i want pampering and someone to get my medicine and drinks and cook for me etc [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]