Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Only MY water is safe

I don't feel the same about drinking water from a friend's filter or at a restaurant as I do with my Dasani because it's not MY water. I don't feel the same about washing my hands and brushing my teeth in a sink outside of my home because it's not MY water. I don't feel the same showering outside of my home because it's not MY water. I know it's foolish, but does anyone else feel a bit more anxious when it's not your water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is accepting of your emetophobia.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Default Re: Only MY water is safe

I bring water with me everywhere, to restaurants and to my dads house even. The cups aren't as clean, the water filter is old. He got a free standing deer park thing, so I sometimes drink that. But I TOTALLY GET IT.

Our water here in Scotland is perfectly safe to drink but I started drinking bottled water a few years ago and I can't drink tap water at all any more even from my own tap. I can brush my teeth from my tap but use bottled water if I am ever away some where (which is very rarely) I never feel clean washing in a different shower. It's the different water but also the fear of the shower being dirty and full of germs even after I clean it. A bath is a total no no u less it is my own.

I bring bottled drinking water just about everywhere too. Yesterday I had just slept over at a friend's home, and I had (as usually) brought my own bottle because I don't trust her filter as much as my Dasani.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Honestly the thought has never crossed my mind that water that isn't "mine" could be an issue.

I don't water from any tap and drink bottles water or my lemon oil water in a glass cup on the go but I brush my teeth and wherever I go. Even in Jamaica they say the water is fine then ok! But I do only drink bottles water there, but have plenty of frozen drinks made with ice so I guess I could drink the water they give in cups too 😂

Quote Originally Posted by tiredofitall View Post
    Honestly the thought has never crossed my mind that water that isn't "mine" could be an issue.
    That's good! I wish it never crossed my mind, but as my Emetophobia got more and more severe as I aged It did cross my mind often.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by CMM811 View Post
    I don't water from any tap and drink bottles water or my lemon oil water in a glass cup on the go but I brush my teeth and wherever I go. Even in Jamaica they say the water is fine then ok! But I do only drink bottles water there, but have plenty of frozen drinks made with ice so I guess I could drink the water they give in cups too 😂
    Well now I'm questioning ice that isn't mine either, yet again. Always stick to bottled water. Don't trust tap, although I'm sure it's usually fine.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Honestly, to recover you have to give yourself limitations. To live in a secluded world where the only water you put in your mouth is from a bottle, you aren't helping yourself. I'm not saying go chug water out of the hose, but start with something small and work your way up. The more I push myself the better I become and drink out of my hose right along side my kids and every other neighborhood kid that hangs out in my front yard. If the thought crosses my mind, it's immediately replaced by "I can do this"

Quote Originally Posted by CMM811 View Post
    Honestly, to recover you have to give yourself limitations. To live in a secluded world where the only water you put in your mouth is from a bottle, you aren't helping yourself. I'm not saying go chug water out of the hose, but start with something small and work your way up. The more I push myself the better I become and drink out of my hose right along side my kids and every other neighborhood kid that hangs out in my front yard. If the thought crosses my mind, it's immediately replaced by "I can do this"
    The water I drink at some restaurants (not often though, as I don't get to go out to eat often) and the little bits of water that get in my mouth as I swim are the risks that I'm letting myself take now. I'm always on the lookout for safe exposure that'll be helpful to me.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

I drink tap at my own house. And bottled. But outside, I won't drink restaurant water only because I worked in food service - cleaning, handling -- not always safe. Glasses are not cleaned well, bartenders stick their fingers into the empty glasses when they restock them in sets, rarely after washing hands from handling money. I know better.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    I drink tap at my own house. And bottled. But outside, I won't drink restaurant water only because I worked in food service - cleaning, handling -- not always safe. Glasses are not cleaned well, bartenders stick their fingers into the empty glasses when they restock them in sets, rarely after washing hands from handling money. I know better.
    My aunt used to work for the restaurant, so I have connections there. I know that they take pride in how clean they keep their glasses and silverware. I hardly go anywhere else unless out of town. That's when I've got to be cautious.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Exactly. Some places are great, but most bars or big chains are gross. I just...can't.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    Exactly. Some places are great, but most bars or big chains are gross. I just...can't.
    It's good to look to the family owned restaurants. Most of them are extremely well maintained. Avoid the chains and bars.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.