Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Food Poisoning

Hybrid View

Default Food Poisoning

Hi!

This is the first time that I have posted to the website. I desperately need help. My fear has gotten so bad to the point where I can't eat the foods that i used to eat, like chicken, beef and pork. This is because of the risk of food poisoning. Even though at home, I see my mom prepare the food in a clean fashion, I still get worried about food poisoning. Does anybody have any tips as to what I can do so that I can eat normally again? Thanks

Default Re: Food Poisoning

Food poisoning is rare. Eat meat well done. It is pretty difficult to poison someone with well-done meat.

We've all been there.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The risk of infection is greater with fruits and vegetables.. Not meat

What about helping your mom cook? You can make sure it's cooked thoroughly and she gets some help in the kitchen. Win-win.

And hlov2 is correct, risk is greater with unwashed fruits and vegetables. Just get a good food thermometer and you're all set.

It's not just meats you have to worry about when it comes to food poisoning.All foods have the potential to make you sick if the food isn't stored, handled, prepared, refrigerated, cooked properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen01 View Post
    It's not just meats you have to worry about when it comes to food poisoning.All foods have the potential to make you sick if the food isn't stored, handled, prepared, refrigerated, cooked properly.
    True. Everything has the potential to go bad and/or be contaminated with pathogens, so there is no reason to vilify meat as something "dangerous". But just to reassure the OP, food poisoning in general doesn't happen as often as most emets fear.

CDC estimates that 9.4million get a food borne illness from known pathogens, and 38.4 from unspecified agents. By my calculations, with the u.s. Population being 318.9million...that is only 15%. Per year. That's not very many, especially when you think about three meals a day, every day, 365 days per year, per person...roughly. Not likely you will get food poisoning, especially if you are being cautious. Most people will eat whatever, whenever...lol. It amazes me.

Not gonna lie, since not eating pork and beef I have been introduced to some great veggie things! However, don't worry in the slightest... My brother ate pink chicken and he described the worst side effect as "a bit of a tummy ache"

You'll grow out of your fear of certain foods overtime. When I got sick from eating something i couldn't have, I spent the next couple years fearing food. I eventually grew out of it and now I eat like a pig lol. I can literally sit here and scarf down a bowl of spaghetti, an entire pizza, and two doughnuts.
    Food poisoning can be easily avoided. I'm 16 and don't know much about meats since I haven't eaten any type of meat since I was 7, but food poisoning usually only happens when the meat is undercooked. Eat fresh, clean meat, wash all of the utensils, don't let it sit out, and don't eat it undercooked.

Hey, it seems like an awful shame if you miss out on eating delicious foods! I do understand though- I often will order a vegetarian option if out for dinner, just because I too think there is less risk of poisoning than meat.

Beef...you can eat it raw. My boyfriend has his steak rare (bloody) and he is always fine. As for pork and chicken...obviously its always advised to cook that all the way through.

I find it a lot easier to eat meat if I've brought it and prepared it myself...I literally have to go to the shop, get the chicken that feels the coldest and with the longest sell by date (that way I know it's fresh) and take it straight home to the fridge. I then really cremate it haha. It sometimes is tough but at least I'm getting goodness and it is yummy!!!

Try maybe suggesting to your mum you will cook one night a week or something...you can get all the ingredients, store it and handle it the way you feel comfortable x
    Everything will be ok in the end...and if it's not ok, it's not the end!