Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Ruined childhood

Hello i'm new here and i felt like i have to tell someone about this.
    I have emet since i'm 4 if i remember good. I'm 16 now and my phobia ruined my whole childhood. Since i didn't know this is a mental illness that other people had i thought it's just me and i'm crazy and it will go away as i grow up. I felt so alone and lost, i remember i spent a lot time with my grandma who was religious, and i was so and i prayed every night to not to vomit. I don't even knew how to tell my mom that i have a mortal fear of vomiting and no matter what i do i got triggered by it, and yet still but... you know i just used to live with it and a bit easier. There was a time when i got really nauseous and i couldn't help myself i ran to my mom and my grandma that please pray to god and help me to not to throw up. I was sobbing. So yes guess what happened they started to laugh at me. Yeah so that was the point where i knew there's no hope for me and i can't escape. I was 8 and i give up.
    I was abused as a kid but honestly i wish i was twice more abused than have this phobia. I was sexually abused and i would rather to relive that memory than vomit again.
    I was yelled at so much to being too picky, being ungrateful to not eat what they gave me and that i'm spoiled and my dad hit me when i looked at what's inside my food.
    I'm a maladaptive daydreamer since i know myself this was the only coping mechanism to escape from this hell.
    I know this is the past and i couldn't change it what happened happened, but i wanted to share my thoughts.

I was able to tell my mom that i have a phobia a year ago, but she absolutely not take it seriously. I have social anxiety and other mental problems and i had a therapist for it, i told her i have emet and she said that's not so important since it's rare to vomit and i can avoid triggering situations.

Default Re: Ruined childhood

That is a horrible therapist... Find a new one that will actually listen to you. I had one that helped me almost entire get over it. It still comes in waves but for the past few months I haven't had a single freak out (and I've been emet for 10 years, 5 to 15)
    Call me Koi or Koiz
    I use my phone for this site 65% of the time so if I do not respond on chat, I am not ignoring you!!!