Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New worrying thought

I thought I had this under control but a new thought is undermining me: I get full on panic attacks sometimes where I HAVE to leave. total blind panic. this is due to my "new distinctive thought" which is: "what if I panic so much I AM s*k?"

now in all my 20+ years of panic attacks off and on this has never happened. it's not going to suddenly start now is it? sounds a ridiculous question I know

Default Re: New worrying thought

anyone? I know I kinda answered my own question but just looking for a little reassurance. 😀

I suffered from panic attacks and agoraphobia back last winter, and had the exact same thought.
    That thought ramped everything up, it's essentially why I was agoraphobic.

What I always told myself, and also heard talking to others or reading threads/other sites is that unless you are prone to v* during attacks, it is very rare it happens. Nervous stomach? THAT happens. But v* is rare unless you're someone who is susceptible.

I highly suggest you read Claire Weeke's "Hope and Help for your nerves". It's like, 2 bucks on Amazon. It helped me SO much with panic and there is a section specifically on v* and how rare it is with panic.

If anything else, if it actually DOES happen that you DO v* from panic (which you won't) take comfort in knowing it is likely an isolated incident caused by a known trigger - your panic - and not an illness that you have to ride out.

that's true thanks for the reply. It's kinda ridiculous worrying about a panic attack making it happen since it hasn't so far in 20 years but I get ridiculous thoughts stuck in my head sometimes.

I'll give that book a read