Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Unhappy Does anyone else suffer from this??

So, I have a question for you... When I feel sick, I hate loud noises, being in the dark and heavy things on my stomach e.g. my arm... I also cant lie down, or look directely into a toilet.

My question is, does anyone else have this problem? Can someone give me some advice? Ive always had a fear of v**** but ive only just found out that its a phobia/disorder and idk what to do or who to talk to...

Thanks in advance x

Default Re: Does anyone else suffer from this??

When I am n* I refuse sleep, food and I also cannot brush my teeth, have anything touching my face other than a blanket or pillow. I do, however, like my little rice sock on my belly because it light and warm so it is comforting. I also cannot be around toilets (so it is hard when I have to pee). As you learn more about yourself and this phobia you will realize how "in tuned" you are with everything around you. Before I was diagnosed I thought my rituals, ticks, limiting food, constant anxiety attacks and other things are actually OCD and Behavioral disorder caused by childhood trauma and because I have been this way my whole life, to me, these things were normal until I later learned it is my response to the need to control things. I am not sure I ever want to be normal because this is my survival mechanism..this is the way I am alive even though some days I feel like I would rather die then love another day like this. It is really hard to be an emet and everyday I ask "why me, haven't I been through enough" but I know there is a reason much bigger than what I can fathom. I hope this helps you, message me anytime.

This is fascinating cos I recently found out that people with anxiety, whether it be our kind of anxiety or generalised anxiety, send to have heightened senses of sensitivity , therefore that's why we have tendencies to panic at the slightest weird stomach feeling and noises and movement etc..... apparently it's a gift but meh, its awful!

To answer your question, when I used to feel sick infront of my ex,i had to lock myself in a room until it went away cos I couldn't stand even touching him as it made it worse..you're not alone!

If I feel really sick I don't want anyone around, I don't want to talk, be touched, or to deal with people. I just want to be alone. Loud noises are also irritating if I feel unwell. Sick or not, I startle very easily. I read somewhere that being easily started is part of the anxiety disorder.

When I am having a panic attack that always involves our fear - I am SO hyper-vigilant that loud noises and the dark freak me out. If it happens in the middle of the night I will go into the living room - turn on a light and television and wait for it to pass. If it's really bad I will sometimes sit in the bathroom because if "it" happens i want to be ready. It is SO stressful to live like this and even though I am not in a 24/7 state of anxiety - I feel sad about all the things I miss out on because of the fear. Ugh.

Yes the same thing happens to me. I can't handle anything around me I just want to be alone but it's weird because at the same time I just want someone to help me. Loud noises or stressful/scary tv shows that normally I would find enjoyable are unbeatable to watch and I can't have things touching me. I panic and want people to leave me alone but once I'm alone I want "help" (basically someone to guarantee that I won't be sick) but nothing
    ever works.

I always tell my boyfriend to help me but not touch me lol poor guy I don't know how he puts up with me