Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Afraid of Laughter

Last night, I had swim practice, where kids arround age 6-18 go. In the locker room afterwards, there two 10 year olds were laughing really hard about something that happened In their personal lives. Then, a 9 year old to my other side told them "don't laugh so hard that you p***!" Then other younger ones joined in, saying how that had happened to them of somebody they knew. Thank God the concersation turned into Finding Dory (which I, along with my friends, want to see no matter how old I am) after about 45 seconds so I could change in peace. So now, despite how I know that there's no way me laughing could make me v, I'm goin to stop myself every time I laugh really hard. Great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is accepting of your emetophobia.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Default Re: Afraid of Laughter

I've never heard of someone laughing so hard they v*.
    I think it must be pretty rare, it's highly unlikely it would happen to you.
    Go enjoy the film and laugh as much as you like!!

Today I had a friend over for 5 hours, and I certainly laughed! In the back of my mind I mind I though about last night's conversation, but quickly silenced my thoughts to enjoy myself. She's so easy to be with - she knows how severe my Emetophobia is and wont bring up anything on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

9 year olds have terrible manners, they're gross, mine included (just turned 10)!!! It's all about the bathroom stuff.... All. The. Time. But sometimes I can't help but get tickled by their conversations... But you can't take them seriously, laugh away!

I don't believe it's very likely to p*** from laughter. Or at least I've never heard of it. Keep in mind that laughing is the body's natural way of showing that one is happy. Don't let ignorant nine year olds stop you from that

I think they were talking about laughter while in the water? I've seen kids be sick from laughter and taking in water!

They were talking about laughter in general. We're too busy swimming to speak unless a coach pulls us to the side to tell us what to fix.

I prefer when the 9 and 10 year olds pull out of the "potty talk" phase and go into the light swearing phase. It's typical for them to be ignorant, especially these days. I can easily see how they'd joke about v like this. Hell, they were laughing even more after that girl told them not to v! They're 9 and 10... I seriously doubt you can v from laughing unless you just ate a huge amount of food, have been laughing very hard for a couple minutes, and want to v. Laughter is the body's expression of happiness - there's probably a near equal chance that you'll v from breathing vs laughing. Any v conversation really gets to me, and it's just so hard to get them off your mind, especially shortly after.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

They probably mean hiccups or something - I can see the association with v* !

Quote Originally Posted by thecheesecake17 View Post
    They probably mean hiccups or something - I can see the association with v* !
    No, I'm positive they meant laughter. Two were laughing hysterically, and the girl who commented specifically talked about laughter. In exact quotes, "don't laugh so hard that you p***!"

Note that hiccups are a spasm in your diaphragm (muscle that inflates as deflates your lungs), and do not make you v because they are in your respiratory system and not your digestive system (no matter what it feels like). That's why taking control of your breathing stops them.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

That's pretty unlikely.

I've laughed to so hard I've cried, peed a little, fallen over, and had my abdominal muscles start to hurt, but I never felt like I was going to v*.

I wouldn't worry about it...little kids are just gross ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by chicajojobe View Post
    That's pretty unlikely.

I've laughed to so hard I've cried, peed a little, fallen over, and had my abdominal muscles start to hurt, but I never felt like I was going to v*.

I wouldn't worry about it...little kids are just gross ;-).
    So have I. Hysterical laughter has never made me or anyone I know of slightly n (not including the girls). Kids, especially around that age, love to talk about all ways the body gets rid of wastes. Really, all ages find humor in it, so you can't really avoid jokes about v.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

I've had a similar experience. I was at a friend's house for dinner, and her kids were laughing. She said, "don't laugh while eating dinner or you'll throw up!" Was anxious for the rest of the night.

I have never seen anyone v* from laughing.

Don't you just hate when people saythings like that! I know they can't help it, but I hate it! Thank God their humor has never come true anywhere that I know of.
    Last edited by Jess44246; 07-19-2016 at 05:50 AM. Reason: auto correct is a jerk

Exactly! Took me a while to actually enjoy laughing again. Was terrified for a while. Every time I'd find something funny and I'd laugh, I'd get triggered and freak out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess44246 View Post
    Don't you just hate when people saw things like that! I know they can't help it, but I hate it! Thank God their humor has never come true anywhere that I know of.

It's just horrible that people can have that much influence over us without meaning to.
    Last edited by Jess44246; 07-20-2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: autocorrect

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Yeah! I know it's not their fault though, there's only one person outside my family that knows about my phobia. But I usually try and think before I talk, and think, "what if this person has a phobia of this or that?" So I never mention anything I saw in the news about let's say, airplane crashes, or talking about a spider I found.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess44246 View Post
    It's just horrible that people can face that much influence over us without meaning to.

I have two close friends who know, and one of them (the more sympathetic one) will not mention v around me at all! It slips the other friend's mind until she says something and I cringe.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

I have never v* from laughing, but I've come close. It happens way past the can't breathe stage and it is ALWAYS super preventable. If you are conscious about it it's pretty much impossible to v* from laughing!

That makes sense. Unless you don't care if you v and just let it happen, laughter won't let you v.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.