Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hepatitis A

Default Hepatitis A

So, I live in Hawaii, and recently there has been an outbreak and growing Hep. A (highly contagious, spread through unwashed hands) threat (that also, for some reason, is a certain strain that hasn't been seen before). Of course, I instantly went to my computer to search the symptoms of Hep. A, and lucky me... They include: N*, V*, and D*. Several outstanding cases (among many) have been reported, including in crowded food courts and a worker at the Costco bakery. This definitely means that other people would have caught it. Now, to make matters worse, my mom is making me go to one of the most popular buffets in the state on Sunday so I could meet her friend's two daughters, and she told me there is no way I'm getting out of it, and that I have to eat something. I'm pretty terrified, and I told her that, to which she just told me to "get over it" and "face my fears," like it was that easy. :/ I'm really nervous, just thinking about this makes me anxious. Any ideas?

Default Re: Hepatitis A

Hey there,
    So first and foremost MOST kids in the US are vaccinated for Hep A at 1 year!!! This being a "unique strain" doesn't mean the vaccine won't have made you successfully immune it simply means that they are having a problem tracing the source of the outbreak If you or your family are nervous you can actually be vaccinated for up to 2 weeks after possible exposure (or anyway if you haven't been since you do live in the region).

HOWEVER...
    Hep A has a long incubation period it isn't Noro virus, which spreads very quickly and has a very low number of viral particles needed for infection (which is why outbreaks come and go so quickly). Yes, transmission is fecal/oral but it is much more unlikely that you will be exposed due to the slow moving nature of the virus. Simply washing hands and being careful w/food (fully cooked etc) should go a Loooooooong way!!! But once gain, you have very likely been vaccinated!!!!