Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Exclamation Swallowed gum now panicking! help!

Hi, I swallowed one piece of gum by accident and now I'm really worried. I know that it's pretty much harmless unless you swallow large amounts, but for someone with emetophobia it's really scary. I'm only 13 and want to ask my dad for reassurance but it's like 3 in the morning and I don't want to disturb him. He really helps when I feel anxious. By the way i'm awake right now cause I just came back from canada this morning and so have jet lag. Even just talking to someone would help. Please someone give me reassurance. I'm worried about getting a stomach ache or blockage which i know is over reacting but it's me so... Please reply soon just for some reassurance. Thank you.

Default Re: Exclamation Swallowed gum now panicking! help!

I'm sure you will be fine! You probably won't even have an upset stomach or any noticeable side effects, and even if you think you do, it's probably just anxiety! I've swallowed gum many times, and have always been fine. I actually swallowed a FLY a couple of months ago, and while I was really freaked out, I was totally fine! I'm sure swallowing gum is even less harmless. :-)
    Hang in there and after a while I'm sure you will feel less panicked as you notice that nothing bad has or will happen.

Swallowing gum isn't ideal and it should never be done intentionally but it won't harm you if it's a small amount. You are and will be totally fine!

I've purposely swallowed gum before! You should be perfectly fine, even if you do swallow more than one piece! Take it easy until you calm down. Watch some tv or read (in a non-disturbing way).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is accepting of your emetophobia.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

I teach 7th grade and gum is not allowed so the kids swallow it on a daily basis and nothing ever happens. Swallowing a piece or two of gum will not make you v.

We swallow gum all the time in my bands when we're about to start playing! No problems at all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is accepting of your emetophobia.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.