Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Am i the only man here

Ive read through a lot of your threads and it seems to be mostly women. I just thought i'd say hi. I found this forum from another health forum and i'm so relieved that im not alone with this damm phobia.

Basically it seems like im the same as the rest of this community. I get terribly anxious about v*, d* i can deal with but thats only because ive hardly ever had it in my life. However i was sick / v* LOADS as a child. Sometimes every month or 2 at one stage. Eventually after going to a football game i ate some dodgy food and threw up about 9 times in the night, i was 12. That was nasty and reminds me even now. I had many other v* incidents when i was younger than 14 and after that i've v* about 4 times since and i'm 22 now.

I think my childhood gave me the fear. I'm awful with anxiety everytime i get a stomach pain i automatically think it will lead to v* and i make myself worse, 99% of the time it doesnt. I also hate what i class as excessive stomach gurgling. Im very worried about clean hands too and dislike eating in certain resturants. I get thoughts of touching dirty things that will lead to stomach upsets. I very much fear night times as i've always had v* during the night. Sometimes it got v.bad and i'd actually wake up with panick attacks which made me feel sick. Its quite bad sometimes and ive realised that i should start to work things out.

From reading various medical sources bacteria cannot survive in the stomach as the acidity level of ph2 ph 2.5 is too strong for most bacteria to survive and therefore cannot be absorbed through the gut wall. This includes things like salmonella, you have to have sufficient quantities for it to have an effect. The spread of bacteria is through saliva and more commonly (however nasty it sounds) feces. Basically spread through touching things, unwashed hands or improper hand washing as certain bacteria can stay in feces for up to 2 weeks.
    However there are select few nasty stomach bugs that are acidic resistant which make you sick and obviously badly prepared food too.

I have come to realise that v* is the bodies unique way of getting rid of bacteria thats no good to us so its a natural mechanism but that sure doesnt put my mind at ease. Its the fear of not knowing whether you have it or not. To me v* is the worse thing in the world. It really sucks but at the end of the day theres nothing i can do. If its going to happen it will happen and will only last 1 or maybe 2 days of my whole life.

I'm trying to overcome it now as it does ruin your life sometimes. There, thats me at least i dont feel wierd now

Edited by: jayb

Well hello there jay,Im not a guy but welcome...

Its very nice to have you here and I hope you find it as imformative and interesting as I have..

The people here are wonderful and very supportive, I am sorry though to hear about your childhood,but we are all friends here,so sit back try to relax and enjoy.

Take Care

xVx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Although I am not a guy either, I wanted to tell you that there are some here so don't worry about being the only one. Glad you joined the group.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Welcome Jay ............... yes this forum is mostly women, but we welcome men here too, lol!!!! Seriously, Welcome!!!! The founder of this site is a man, by the way.

You will find that this is a very supportive forum. We post and support each other through lots of things, not just V* Truth be told, this is the most supportive fourm I visit.

Well when I read the first line of your post I rolled my eyes about
    going through this same discussion every time a new guy finds this
    board.

However, I asked the same thing when I first arrived too because the
    number of women here made me curious as to whether my being one might
    have predisposed me to emet.

Anyway, the answer is no. You aren't the only man at all. As a matter of fact founder of this website is a man.

Edited by: chicajojobe

thanks everyone!!

you are all so accomadating which is v.nice. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]