Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Talking to self

I dont know if this has anything to do with me having emetophobia...

But i talk to myself..all the time...out loud. And its driving me
    crazy...even in public...i will talk to myself without even knowing
    it...then tell myself to shut up out loud too.

I will say to myself what im gonna do..like when i get up i'l
    say...."im gonna get dressed, go to the bathroom, wash, brush my
    teeth"....etc...and i'l make sure i do it in that order...and if i dont
    i have to make up a new one...like if i brush my teeth b4 i wash i'l
    say "well ive had a wash so il brush my teeth the...etc.

I dont think anyone notices but i do it all the time...

infront of my family...i once was talking to myself then my dad walked
    in and i stopped...and he said "did you say something" and i just say
    no..it must of been the tv..

I havent told anyone...cos they will laugh.

I talk to myself about my feelings...about my past....i guess its cos i
    have noone else to talk to about it...so i find comfort in telling
    myself....even to i already know.

i do it more oftern now...and in public places...like walking down the street...

I dont know if its just a normal thing.

Can someone help? give me some advice maybe?

thanx x

You know what I think... It might be a good thing. I mean, if you are always talking to yourself then you probably make it pretty hard for those sneaky emet thoughts to take over. It keeps your mind busy and on track. If those thoughts do sneak in, you can probably tell yourself some logical things to get rid of them. Although it's sad that you don't feel that you can talk to others about stuff, it's also great that you are able to compensate and rely on yourself for the support you are needing. I seriously don't see it as being a huge problem. However, if it is something you would like to stop doing; maybe start off by not saying it out loud, but inside your head. Like when I read... If I actually hear the words inside my head it is as good as reading it out loud and better than actually just looking over the words. Hear yourself in your own head... Know what I mean?
    \"This too shall pass\"

I agree with shiva, by talking out loud, you are reasoning with the emet monster. If you are uncomfortable you can as shiva sugguested, teach yourself todo it in your head over time. Do you have any pets? maybe you can try talking to them to ease the transition a bit. I talk to my pets all the time, my cat is an especially good listener and my giant dog gives the best cuddles! Even though they cannot respond, they are there when i need to vent and help when i feel lonely.

Don't worry about being 'normal'- that is a highly-overrated and elusiveterm.

If talking to yourself helps you make it through the day, and if of comfort to you, then talk away You are not harming yourself or others, and it allows you to work out your thoughts and feeling.And, it keeps other damaging thoughts (emet-related) from entering your consciousness (at least I hope).

I have a constant internal dialogue going- just because I don't say it out loud doesnt make it any different

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I talk to myself all the time. I have since I was little. I actually have different characters that I entertain myself by talking about - I'm a story teller by nature... so I just tell myself stories about whatever what I want to make up. I didn't always have friends to play with or people to talk to when I was little, so I did this instead and I have found that part of it has stuck with me forever.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

never told anyone about this, but i make up stories about situations that could happen/have happened to me and do like a role play with the people in my head. sounds completely crackpot, but i've always done it. i also talk myself through things, but usually only when i'm home alone. don't worry, if it helps you, what does it matter? keep nattering!

jen

<font color=GREEN>
    happiness is a way of travel -- not a destination
    </font>

I agree w/ the others, you aren't causing any harm. If it's soemthing that bothers you than you could work on consciously catching yourself but I really don't see why you'd need to unless for you not others. I talk to myself when I'ma lone ALL THE TIME! If I'm not alone it's internal like crimgoddess said. For me I know I'm an analytical person and I think it's just part of it, I don't knwo if that is so for you too. But I think it'skinda cool.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin