Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okay, so we have a favorite TV shows thread, a favorite movie thread, and even a favorite music thread. But we haven't had a favorite book thread...at least not on this new forum! So, being the bookworm that I am, I thought I would start one!!

All you do is list books that are your favorites or that you would reccommend for the rest of us to read!

I'll Start!!
    <UL>
    <LI>A Time For Dancing by Davida Wills Hurwin (very sad book)
    <LI>A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks (another sad, touching story)
    <LI>Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (a classic)
    <LI>Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (another classic)
    <LI>Anything by Mary Downing Hahn or Sarah Dessen
    <LI>Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers (WARNING: EXTREMELY EXTREMELY EXTREMELY GRAPHIC WAR NOVEL!!!! DON'T READ IF YOU ARE VERY SQUEAMISH OUR SENSITIVE!!!!!!!! I had to read the book for school and I really liked it despite the graphic scenes.)
    <LI>Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger (yet another classic)
    <LI>Kissing Doornobs by Terry Spencer Hesser (interesting fictional book about a girl with OCD.)
    <LI>Anything by Beverly Cleary or Judy Blume
    <LI>Ironman &amp; StayingFatfor Sarah Byrnesby Chris Crutcher (Interesting books)
    <LI>Roald Dahl books
    <LI>The Baby-Sitters Club series by Ann M. Martin
    <LI>Sweet Valley series by Francine Pascal</LI>[/list]

And that's my list for now!!! I would love for you guys to add to it and to see what we all come up with!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Edited by: NCsmile6
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Heh, I love the Sweet Valley books!! I've read almost all of them!
    I have a lot of favorites, I'll make as short a list as possible.

-Almost all of Michael Crichton's stuff, although my favs are Jurassic Park,
    Timeline, and Sphere (The Andromeda Strain was also good, but it scared
    the crap outta me!)
    -Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
    -Any of Stephen King's short stories
    -The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien
    -Vertical Run by Joseph R. Garber
    -Watchers by Dean Koontz (Ticktock was another one I liked by him)
    -Around the World in 80 days by Jules Verne
    -Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

I also loved the first few Left Behind books, although I never got past
    number 5.
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

Oooh Oooh I love books! (stop being a geek Hannah" "ok Hannah") Anyhooo, these are my top 10 books in no particular order:
    1. <LI>His dark materials series</LI>
      <LI>Harry Potter series</LI>
      <LI>Ally's world series</LI>
      <LI>Letters of a lost generation</LI>
      <LI>Jane Eyre</LI>
      <LI>Any Jaqueline Wilson book</LI>
      <LI>Noughts and Crosses</LI>
      <LI>Knife Edge</LI>
      <LI>The Named</LI>
      <LI>Old Magic</LI>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <font color=BLUE>I LOVE TO LAUGH!</font>

1. Brave New World

2. Watership Down

3. Old Stephen King

4. Any Tom Robbin's book (some of you are too young to read him, though)

5. The Sword of Truth series

6. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Un-believer
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

ot: How many books do you guys read a week? I'm a total bookworm so probably about 5 on average.

OT: I wish I had that much time to read all those books in one week!!! WOW! [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]I do what I can.

By the way, one more series of books to add
    <UL>
    <LI>The Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor</LI>[/list]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

YAY! I LOVE books!

1.) Jane Eyre (already been said but its a great one!)

2.) To Kill A Mockingbird

3.) ANYTHING by John Saul

4.) Summer Sisters by Judy Bloom

5.) The Flowers in the Attic series

\"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I read like a maniac.

This year particulary, lol, cause when I was living on my own with my roomate we didn't have a tv!

White Oleander - Jane Fitch

Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt

'Tis - Frank McCourt

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

Lucky - Alice Sebold

April Raintree - Beatric Culleton

Icy Sparks - ?

Home is where the heart is - ?

She's come undone - Wally Lamb (absolultey amazing)

Great Gatsby - ?

The Edible Woman - Margaret Attwood

Stone Angel - Margaret Lawrence (I hope I didn't get those authors mixed up!)

I can't think of anymore...but those are all good.

Angela's ashes was a great book, lots of v* tho, spesh in the film.

Have any of your read prozac nation???? I'm half way through it. Its quite good.

Crazybeautiful,

I just recently bought 'The Lovely Bones' and 'Lucky' because I heard that they were such WONDERFUL books, but I haven't gotten to reading them yet!! I've heard great things about both of those books!!

By the way, F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote 'The Great Gatsby'

And, I own 'She's Come Undone' too...haven't gotten to reading that either....you may notice that I have this craze about buying books lol.

Izzy,

I want to read 'Prozac Nation' SOOOO badly!!! I think I could definetly relate to that! I had a copy around somewhere, I just need to find it...
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

I Have Read "Shes Come undone" and I adored it! and also "the Lovely Bones" is on my list. But the best book i can reccomend is "The Speed of Light"

I heard about the book because a certain favourite actress of mine is turning it into a film. So i figured i'd read it at some point and bought it. I finally got round to reading it and i thought it was absolutely beautiful. It has such a mix of wonderful language. But is quite sad, and yet some of the language used makes it more fresh and alive than anything before. It is just so great i cant reccomend it more!!!

Also "Mouthing the Words" By Camilla Gibb is a great book, its about some really horrible things and yet some bits made me laugh. I enjoyed it.

Books are my favourite things, and for a while i couldnt seem to focus enough to read (to anxious) but then i picked up one of my sisters Harry Potter books and slowly i can focus more and read more.

I wasnt too impressed with prozac nation to be honest, maybe my expectations were too high?!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

How in the WORLD could I forget 'Anne of Green Gables'?? AMAZING BOOK right there!!!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

I'd have to recommend White Oleander to all you girls. Seriously, read it, it's amazingly written.

Yes, She's come undone was good too!! And The Lovely Bones. WHOO!

i read prozac nation a while ago and i loved it - really good book. also read girl interupted and the bell jar which were pretty good.

my fave books at the mo have to be

day of the triffids - john wyndham - gripping!

life of Pi - jan martel - absolutely brilliant!

wild swans - jung chang - half way through this huge 500+ page book. slow to start but def worth carrying on - i love reading books that you learn something from. Biographies are my fave.

then the whole Dave Pelzer series - hes my hero - i want to give him the biggest hug. Sickend by julie gregory is excellent too.

Neha - i def wanna read the fallen Angels book - i really like war books and stories. And def read the lovely bones - it was really sad - but really good. I have lucky too but just havent read yet!! def wont be managing 5 books a week this week with wild swans to finish!!

I love Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, and Harry Potter. Basically, I like books that make me laugh and that I don't have to think about, as I read fiction purely for relaxation - I am doing an Open University degree, so I have to think about the books I read for that - I don't want to have to think about the books I read for leisure!!!

Jill xxx

tipping the velvet is a really good book but i would problem say anyone under 18 shudnt read it...it gets a bit saucy lol...its about victorian minority groups and is a must for anyone who enjoys gay fiction

I dont read many adult books, I've found Jacqeline wilso nto be really good tho!! I was a fan when I was 11 and think she is a great childrens writer!!!! I would recomment prozac nation. There is a bit of v* in it but its not too bad. I'm only half way through tho!!!

i love her book he story of tracy beaker and the tv series...im 18 but love that kinda thing lol

I love to read!!

The Green Mile by Steven King (he lives 30 minutes from me!!!)

i LOVED the Flowers in the Attic series

When I was younger the little house on the prarie series was a HUGE hit!!

I also loved anything by lurleen mcdaniel but I ahd to stop reading them because she writes about your people with terminal diseases...and I convinced myself I had cancer! HA!

I liked White Oleander..

Many of the books on the Oprah list are really good.

I msotly read romances..i know...corny..but I LOVE romance..i can get lost in a good romance novel and raed for hours..i can read a book a day if I have time!
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

The Hours by Michael Cunningham - one of the greatest books I've ever read.

Time Traveller's Wife - don't know the author but WOW.

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

Fall on Your Knees by Anne-Marie MacDonald

every book ever written by John Irving

ditto for Carol Shields
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

oh, and as a kid, I LOVED Judy Blume - Are you there, god, it's me Margaret (sigh).
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

The Left Behind series

Sophie's Heart-Lori Wick

Flowers in the Attic, Heaven, and Ruby series by V.C. Andrews

Currently reading "The Guardian" by Nicholas Sparks and falling in love with it.

The Bible [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Emma,

"Fallen Angels" isa GREAT book! However, like I said before, since it is a war novel,a lot of the parts in it are very graphic. But other than that, I really enjoyed it. It's an account of the Vietnam war seen through the eyes of a young black male. I would definetly reccommend it if you can get past the whole graphic thing.

I also like to read war novels. Do you know any good ones?

About Lurlene McDaniel...I LOVE her novels!!! I get so sad and emotional with them!!! I am a hyphochondriach and can relate to that fear that maybe I have one of the terminal diseases she is writing about. However that doesn't stop me from reading her books because they are really inspiring

Elizabeth,

EVERY GIRL HAS to read "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret!!" "WE MUST, WE MUST, WE MUST INCREASE OUR BUST!" [img]smileys/smilies_32.gif[/img]ROLMFAO!!!! That was aCLASSICnovel!!!

Also, I'm a SUCKER for a romance story, so if anyone knows any good titles, I would love to read them!! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

Neha,

You probably wouldn't expect this, but Mark Twain wrote a short romance story entitled Adam and Eve. One of the best stories I ever read.
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Mark Twain?? Wow!!! Guess I'll have to check that one out!! Can this story be found in an anthology?
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

The Fearless series by Francine Pascal is also pretty good.
    —Seneca</font>

also, the Roswell High series is really good
    —Seneca</font>

Neha,

Yes, it is in The Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain. Lots of other good ones in there too.