Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: what gives?

just been thinking about this lately and its buggin my brain...

so us emets are able to refrain from v* for years and years and years. Why is it that we can go for so long and then one day out of the blue, we suddenly get s*? What gives?

My first v* free span was seven years. And mind you, this was throughtout junior high and high school when it would be very easy to catch a bug. So why seven years later did it hit me so hard I couldn't fight?

This is really my biggest worry. I know we can fight it off for a while, but when is your time up and why?
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    - Franklin D. Roosevelt

sheeree,

have u been ill really recently then? what happened? hope you're ok x

Oh, who knows, I don't even like to think about when my time's up. I haven't been sick for over 22 years. Whenever I tell people this, they always say "oh, you must be due for one then!". They think it's funny, I don't!!

Can't answer your question, but you're right, we do have quite long periods without v* - I hope I'm not tempting fate here!!

blah...so depressing~
    - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by kjen

sheeree,

have u been ill really recently then? what happened? hope you're ok x

oh no...the last time I was s* was about 5 years ago...but I just can't help but wonder when it will be again? I went seven years before the last time so I have been moody thinking about it lately you know>?
    - Franklin D. Roosevelt

I have only managed 3 v*free years, but before that I managed 6. The only problem was that after those 6 years I caught2 v* bugs within a few months. I was pregnant at the time and anaemic so maybe my immune system was low, but I only had to look at someone sick to pick it up. There was not a thing I could do to stop it. I am aiming to beat my 6 year record this time.

Sorry I can't answer your question. I just think that if we are extra low it just happens, where normally we can fight it.

The super depressing part of this is it seems to happen (dunno about you guys, but it does for me) when we're feeling positive and happy, and when emet is the last thing on our minds. Its like the second you letyour guard down, BAM, hit with a bug! I've gone 11 years, but had a close call about a year ago, during a time when I wasn't even thinking about emet.

So ever since then I've been on the alert, which is pretty darn tiring But, better than catching an sv*, I guess.
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

For a while I was completely convinced that my body decides to vomit every 7 years. I recently hit my 11 year mark and have been exceptionally nervous for the past 4 years! LOL!
    \"This too shall pass\"

Its been a LONG time for me. I'm 23. and I was probably 7 or 8 the last time I vomited. I dont even remember really. I had the regular flu, and being a kid, it upset my stomach I guess.

its been about 15 years since it happened, most of those years I was not Emet. I think some people are just more prone to stomach viruses, or colds, or whatever it may be.

I would say that not everyone has a "time". I think Sv's are pretty uncommon and we only hear about them because people like to talk about how "sick" they were ( not including the fact that they had alot to drink or ate something that might have been off).
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Default Re: what gives?

Wow...I was able to log in and see some of my old posts.

Pretty cool to see how far I’ve come as an emet! That being said, I’m in here tonight because my daughter v* this evening before bed and I’m a wreck about it.

Just wanted to update that since this original post, I’ve had three more babies (twins for my last pregnancy!) and have not v* in almost 18 years. I’ve had the *sv a handful of times thanks to these kids but yeah- still hangin in there. 💕

Default Re: what gives?

Welcome back, Shereerenee. To answer your original question, we got to be emets because it is normal for us to go a long time without vomiting. If we were typical people who throw up once or twice a year, we would not be emets. Some challenges are harder for the body than others. In addition to our usual high threshold for vomiting, most emets learn techniques than can prevent vomiting even when severely nauseated. See my Vomiting FAQ at the link in my signature for more information.

Feel free to tell your story of what happened in 2000 or 2001. We would all like to learn more from your experience how we can prevent vomiting in ourselves.

Doug, who successfully fought off severe nausea on July 12, 2000
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.