Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy panic attacks & other stuff

hello all,

so, i am a 17 year old girl who frequently has panic attacks, and i have been an emetophobe for as long as i can possibly remember. when i get emotional, the panic always settles in my stomach, and i get this sort of gag feeling in the back of my throat, and occasionally i will get n*. i have never v* from a panic attack, and i am very rarely ill (i went for 8 yrs w/o v* once, and i'm currently on a 4yr 2m streak). however, whenever i get n* or feel like r*tching, i'll hurt myself. it's mostly just scratching and pinching, but when i calm down i am covered in marks from the attack. i would much rather hurt my skin and have that than to actually v* or feel n* for any amount of time.

i also have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) to such an extent that i was scoped for ulcers at 13 years old. i take meds for both my gut and anxiety. however, i know it's probably not the wisest idea to harm myself when my emetophobia is flaring up. i remember there was one event where a relative of mine had been drinking too much and v*, and i spent the entire night with my headphones in and crying hysterically, because it really really disturbed me. i know i wasn't going to get sick, but none the less...

so, i think the point of this rambling post would be to get advice on how to stop hurting myself when i have a panic attacks and my stomach hurts. any and all help would be appreciated.

thank you,

lrs

Default Re: panic attacks & other stuff

You really should go see a therapist as soon as possible if you are hurting yourself. This is not a good way to deal with anxiety and it could get worse if you keep indulging in that behavior. Hurting yourself will not prevent vomiting if it has to happen. Don't make that connection in your brain. The best advice is to seek professional help if you are self-harming. A professional therapist or psychiatrist who is used to dealing with anxiety disorders will be your best bet at stopping this before it gets out of hand.

Go see a therapist. In the the mean time when you're having an attack resort to something comforting rather than self harm. I remember years ago when I was about 7 or 8 I woke up n* in the middle of the night. I was very scared but I quietly grabbed my notebook and crayons and quietly made my way to my parents room. I told no one how I felt but simply colored my way out of a panick attack. I didn't sleep that night but the coloring and doodling made me forget about how ill I felt. I still do that to this day or I watch youtube videos. I try to take my mind off the thought I feel n. Don't hurt yourself anymore.

thank you very much for your replies.

i am actually seeing a therapist, and i just recently told her about the self-harm aspect. she thinks that some sort of tactile distraction would do me good, or distraction in general. i journal about my feelings occasionally. i know it's not a good thing to do, and i am trying to curb it. again, thank you all so much for your replies and concern.

I have to agree with the above post, keep your hands busy with something constructive when you are having a panic attack. I'm a knitter, so sometimes I resort to knitting simple things when I am anxious. It helps to distract me. Even just getting one of them stress-relief balls might be useful. But most often when I am panicking about vomiting, I pick up a good book and that usually makes me forget the panic entirely. Coloring is another very good option, it is very soothing. The adult coloring books that are so popular right now have really intricate patterns that require quite a bit of attention to properly color, so that would be a very good option for you.

I really wish you to beat this!

Suggest adult coloring books, knitting as said above or I like to crochet as can't knit, latch hook, puzzles, sudokus, gardening, board games or video games, write or draw, just to name a few.