Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New here and I need help

Hey I just joined today. I now know Im emtophobic and I have been since I was six ( 15 now ). My sister has it too and both my parents know. The thing is no one knows I am an emtophobic too. Im too embarrassed and scared to tell anyone. I have a strong association problem to my phobia and I am also a germophobic because of it and my parents and older sister always think Im really odd. For a long time I have been over thinking whether telling them or not. Im just too afraid of judgement. I think my phobia is more extreme than my sister cause of association. For example, I can't wear the clothes I puked in and my sister doesn't care for it. Any help or advice?

Default Re: New here and I need help

I know it will be hard, but try telling them. Sit them down and explain. Hopefully they will be understanding. My parents dont know but my partner does and it really helps in that if one of the children are ill that I can say to him, I cant handle this!! It really eases the general anxiety if there is someone there who can help you out xx

Just tell them. I think the longer you leave it the more you're blowing it up in your head to be a bigger thing than it really is - they're fine with your sister having it so your parents don't sound the types to dismiss your problem, you just need to say you have the same thing but that yours seems a bit more severe. The thing about not wanting to wear the same clothes etc is completely normal for people with emetophobia, lots of us suffer negative associations to certain things to do with previous vomiting incidents, whether it be avoiding the last meal we ate, clothes, certain sets of cicumstances etc, so you're not a complete fruitcake, you just have the typical symptoms of emet. Good luck with telling your mum and dad, you will feel much better once you have done.

Thanks for the advice!

It will definitely feel better once you share your feelings. Make it a serious conversation, not just something you say to them in passing. It took a very serious conversation with my parents for them to understand this isn't a "get over it" type of issue. I know i need clinical help, but most therapists don't specialize in emet, and you really need one that does. I wish there were like a local support group close to where I live that I could go to. It feels better once you share, you don't feel as alone. This phobia sucks I'd rather be afraid of like...cats or something.