Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default need advice as soon as possible

(this is my first post so sorry if i mess something up hah)
    this is going to take awhile to type because i'm scared right now but
    basically i think i need as much advice as i can get on how to calm down when i feel ill
    i was supposed to be heading to a family gathering right now but i started to get this cramping feeling in my abdomen and it started to make me feel a bit nauseous and once i get that feeling, i start to panic and it just escalates really quickly
    i've been feeling like this for a few days now but today has been the most panicky
    the last time i felt this scared i think i actually panicked myself into v*
    i feel a lot better after i am able to drink a bit of sprite and burp but i start to feel bad again awhile after
    so i guess i need advice on
    - how to keep calm/relax
    - and which positions are most comfortable to be in when you feel this way

thank you, this fear has started to drastically affect my day to day life and i want to have more control over it and not live in fear :^(

Default Re: need advice as soon as possible

My advice would be to listen to some music you enjoy. Go along with your daily business as if you weren't even havi ng an attack so your mind can see your totally healthy

thanks for the reply :^) calming music does tend to help a bit but it's difficult to get myself to the point of returning to my daily business for a long time after i start to panic, i will try working on that more though.

i keep zofran with me all the time and also apple cider vinegar.. it really calms the belly and makes u feel less bloated killing off the bad acid.. also maybe play a game on your phone like words with friends or solitaire for distraction =)

One of the things I try to do when I think there is a chance it could just be anxiety (like if I have been doing well with hand hygiene and haven't been exposed that I know of) is I just try to push through my day and do my normal activities. I try to make sure I have things on hand to help me like peppermints, gum, water, tea, etc. and will take some pepto bismol if I'm having mild IBS issues (like light d*)...a lot of times if I go to work or go out to whatever event I had planned, I eventually get distracted enough to start feeling better. Also, it really helps me when I feel hungry - usually if I'm having physical symptoms that are anxiety related, if I wait a couple hours and my hunger comes, I know I'm probably in the clear and it really helps.