Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I want to die because of emetophobia

I've had emetophobia my whole life I'm 26. I have a son he's 6 and I am able to take care of him when he is sick but I constantly worry about if he or I or anyone will get sick. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. I'm a teacher aide and in the process of getting my teaching license but I'm so afraid someone will get sick. This fear makes me want to die I'm so lost I tried therapy but it was just talking and didn't help

Default Re: I want to die because of emetophobia

I am a mom as well (he's almost 10) and I totally understand your fear. First of all, welcome. I see this is your first post. There are tons of parents on here, mostly moms. We all get it. Kids get sick and it does suck. But you won't die and he won't die and you WILL be able to handle it.

What have you done when he as been sick? You know the mom protective care thing kicks in when it actively happening. But I do worry non stop too. I ask my son to wash his hands like 100 times a day, say "don't stick your fingers in your mouth" about the same and ask him if he is ok like 25 times a day. He hates it.

I am in therapy, but not for this. I also did not find it helpful for emet. Most therapists don't understand it and there is little they can do to help because the fear is not what to do when it does happen, but rather the daily panic of "is this the day?" That feeling of doom, daily.

Anyways, don't be ashamed. You aren't crazy. This is a phobia, plain and simple. And you are brave for having kids AND working in a school. Most emets don't do either. I am a single mom and work in a children's hospital!

I am a teacher aide as well! I am terrifed of the kids geting sick and it has happened and I freak out but then I move on because it's life and I know if I wash my hands Ill be ok

I wanna ease your mind, vomiting isn't scarey, I had a stomach bug over weekend, I learnt vomiting isn't scarey, it more annoying than anything we tend to block after. Your bee fine