Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Help! Freaking out. Exposure.

Need to vent! Freaking out. Recently married a few months ago, now living with my husband at his parents house. His little brother and his wife also live here. I have eaten food prepared by his mother, but unbeknownst to me, my sister in law has been sick with a sv* since last night and we did not know. V*, d*, cramps, fever, cough. I'm almost positive I have been exposed because even though his mom and dad practice good hygiene, bro and sis and law do not. So because I ate food prepared by his mom, I believe I have consumed GERMS. I am scared to death. This is the SECOND time in a 6 month period she has brought that mess here! And they don't wash their hands like normal people and it spreads like the plague! I got it last time and it was awful! I can't do it again. Freaking out so bad what can I do? Does grape juice prevent it or is it a myth? I refuse to even go in the bathroom to use it or shower now I have been panicking to the point I have been nauseous and shakey. Please help!

Default Re: Help! Freaking out. Exposure.

Is there a different bathroom you can use? I would just treat the house like I treat the "public" world - don't touch anything in the bathroom if you share the bathroom with them (use toilet paper or gloves to open doors, lift toilet lid, squat to pee, etc) and be careful to prepare your own food from now on and don't eat with your hands - just use utensils. If you were not exposed by your MIL's food (unlikely I believe since she isn't the one who is s*) then from this point on just be very careful with your personal hygiene and you can avoid it. Two years ago at Thanksgiving there were THREE people in my family that came down with an SV over the holiday - my adult brother, my adult cousin, and my little 6 year old cousin,