Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Fear of getting sick causing me to get sick (sorry, slightly graphic)

Yesterday my boyfriend and I were on a camping trip and we stopped at a diner for breakfast. Eating in public is tough for me, but I decided I really wanted to just relax and have a good time and I decided to give it a try. Towards the end of the meal I started to have a panic attack, and I put a mint in my mouth to try to calm down. It didn't work. I ended up getting sick on the floor a little, then went outside and got sick on the pavement. Right next to a huge window that looked into the diner, so everybody inside could see. My boyfriend brought me a glass of water and I managed to calm down enough to stop, but it was extremely embarrassing and I've been thinking about it all day. I feel horrible that I might have grossed some people out during their meal, I feel horrible that my boyfriend saw it, I feel horrible for making such a huge scene, and I feel terrified that it will happen again.
    This is the third time that emetophobia has recently made me so anxious that I actually got sick, and this time it was very public. I hate that this is happening now and I can't seem to find any mentions of this happening to anyone else - every other emetophobe seems to say that they rarely if ever get sick because of their fear, but for me it causes it. It's such a nightmarish situation and it's really bothering me that I seem to be totally alone in it. Has anyone else experienced this, or read about anyone else experiencing it?

Default Re: Fear of getting sick causing me to get sick (sorry, slightly graphic)

Oh bless your heart!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I know I've had such bad panic attacks over being sick that I came very close to getting sick before. My mom gets to the point of getting sick when she has them too. *Hugs*

Default Re: Fear of getting sick causing me to get sick (sorry, slightly graphic)

I think vomiting is quite common when it comes to anxiety. The mind is very powerful. My brother has vomited a few times when extremely anxious; the only difference being that his anxiety was caused by something other than emetophobia. I've had two episodes of dry heaving over the last five or six years, and I'm unsure as to whether it was caused by illness or extreme anxiety. Both times it happened after I'd woken suddenly, early in the morning, feeling very nauseated. I think at least one of those episodes were caused by my having a panic attack. Have you spoken to a doctor? Perhaps it's time to see one if this is happening on a regular basis. Therapy or medication could really help you.
    You have no idea what it's like living inside my head.

I'm on antidepressants for depression and anxiety and I go to therapy regularly. It helps, but not enough. I also have Klonopin for shorter-term acute anxiety, but only if I know I'm going to be anxious... when it happens in the form of a sudden panic attack I can't really do anything about it. I just haven't heard about emetophobia itself causing someone to vomit, and it makes me feel really alone.

If it's to the point where you're actually being sick I think ya need to see a doc, not cos youre a concern mentally but cos it sounds beyond inconvenient, maybe it's acid reflux? It's ironic though as you're technically facing your fears... Sounds awful though... In my real bad emet time I too have almost felt like I was gonna be sick from the slightest thought or incident

I'm sorry :/

Maybe take the klonopin with you when you go somewhere? That's what my psychiatrist told me to do so I don't get caught having major panic attacks in public

Definitely take the klonopin as a precautionary measure. You can also take one and chew it instead of swallowing it whole if you are in the midst of a panic attack. It gets into your system faster that why. A doctor gave me this suggestion and it really works. I use xanax and it is a little bitter tasting but chewing it causes it to work quite quickly.

God I am so sorry, that sounds beyond horrible... At least your boyfriend is really supportive! I agree with previous posters that said to take the meds as a precautionary measure, it helped me and now I'm doing great in public
    Call me Koi or Koiz
    I use my phone for this site 65% of the time so if I do not respond on chat, I am not ignoring you!!!