Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Beta Blockers, experiences? (Propranolol, Atenolol, etc)

Hi all, happy Saturday.
    My doctor and I spoke this week about the fact that I'm still homebound from anxiety/agoraphobia, and in addition to the Ativan she prescribed to me, she's prescribed me 10mg Propranolol (up to 3x daily as needed) in hope it'll help me with panic attacks even more. The biggest goal is to get me out driving again, maybe going into stores again soon too. Has anyone had any good successes with Propranolol as a treatment for anxiety/panic attacks? How often did you take it for anxiety? I know there are a few threads about Propranolol in the forum but most were fairly old, wanted to see if there's any updates since then.

Also, naturally, my doctor said the likelihood of n* from it is very low, especially at the dosage I've been given. In your knowledge or experience, is n*/v* as uncommon as she's experienced?

Thanks everyone

Default Re: Beta Blockers, experiences? (Propranolol, Atenolol, etc)

Hi, I sometimes take propranolol, when I'm really anxious and panicky and my palpitations are bad , they really calm you down and if your anxiety is making you fee n*, if anything they take the n* away, they don't actually take away the anxiety itself, but they calm down the symptoms your getting like the shakiness, palpitations, n*.

My doctor prescribed me 40mg to take up to 3 times a day. I don't take them very often only when I really need them, but I would try them and see how you get on. I'm 99% sure they won't make you n*, if anything they take it away, if its caused by anxiety as they have calmed my n*.

Good luck x

Thanks so much! I'm nervous but the idea of all those symptoms going away sounds so nice 😭 😆

I was in propranolol for three months after my Dad died, because I was in a constant state of panic and grief driven anxiety. It was a life saver, and I had zero side effects.

I'm sorry for your loss, I'm really happy to hear that it was so helpful for you though! What dosage were you on if you don't mind me asking?