Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default For all you singers out there, some advice please???

Hello All,
    Question for you singers. I've been singing in a choir for a long time, and practice is usually in the evening, like 7:30. Well, every once in a while, if I've eaten before going, even an hour or more before, and then sing, I get kind of nauseous/full/lump feeling. I'm wondering if it has to do with the way I breathe while singing. I know you are supposed to breathe "abdominally", but that's what makes me feel like that. Then I end up singing less, getting afraid to sing because I think the feeling will get worse, start panicking about how I'm feeling among all these people, etc, etc.

Do any of you know of any connection to singing after eating? Anyone experience that? Am I just getting nervous and causing this? It happened again tonight at practice and we were really working and singing hard. I hate that!!! But I need to eat because if I didn't, I would definitely get lightheaded....sighhhh....hope someone can help. Thanks!
    "In nothing be anxious....." Phil. 4:6

Default Re: For all you singers out there, some advice please???

Being a musician, I can inform you that this can be a but normal sometimes. If you frequently feel this way when singing after eating, I would suggest eating two hours or so before and to eat something lighter that what you eat now. Something to satisfy your hunger until you get home, where you should eat another light thing because you'll be hungry by then. Wen you are feeling that way, I'd suggest getting a drink of cool water. Taking proper breaths is very important to a musician, so this should help you be able to comfortably breathe right again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is accepting of your emetophobia.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Thanks so much Jess! I was starting to get hopeless...Yes, I think I need to do that, and also bring a drink and snack with me, at least for the way home, so I don't get lightheaded. I also read that improper breathing can make you lightheaded...I'm not sure exactly which it is for me. I do have low blood sugar.

But it wouldn't actually make me sick, right?? I get more nervous when I feel like that...ugh.

Oh no, breathing properly will not make you v. Do as I suggested. Being light headed could honestly just be that you're dehydrated or taking in the air but not letting enough of it go before taking in more. I don't breathe improperly, but perhaps improper breathing could cause you to be light headed, though I'm guessing it's the first two. Simple causes that we can avoid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

I did music for three years and often had weird scares like that! Once I went home mid lesson thinking I'd caught a bug haha what a disaster! Sounds like it's normal so don't worry

Eating lightly and eating earlier, as well as staying hydrated and letting the air all out, should definitely help to reduce those scares Andrea! I know they say "take in as much air as possible," but you need to get all that air out too.

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

Thank you all!! I'm going to try all these things next time and see what happens. You never want to let this *&^% fear get in the way of something you love!!

Never let this fear get in the way. Push through it, even when it's so horrible that it makes sense to give up. That's the right way to live. Let me know how these tips go for you!

This is Bob.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.