Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Exposure?!? HELP!!!

My wife and I had to visit some friends of ours just a little while ago. It wasn't until we actually arrived they informed us thag their oldest daughter (13) was sick and v*. I stayed outside the whole time until I walked in to get my wife as we were leaving. My wife stayed in one spot the whole time away from the bathroom. The daughter did come into the same room for a few minutes and then went back to her room. They had recently painted the bathroom and I did peak inside to look at the paint. Neither of us touched anything inside. They have other kids that wanted to hug us bye and I did touch a toy or two. We immediately came home and washed our hands and showered. Clothes were immediately placed in the wash. Should we be worried. I'm very emetophobic. I'm panicked. If I would have known I would have NEVER went. I stayed outside almost the whole time. We didn't touch anything other then, I did shake hands with my friend as we left and looked inside the bathroom. My wife didn't touch anything. Should I be worried!?!

Default Re: Exposure?!? HELP!!!

I think you'll be OK! The paint probably will have killed off any germs haha it's so strong (I actually feel bad for the poor daughter, the smell of paint can be tough on the stomach and sinuses) but yeah you would have had to have ingested her particles...sorry to sound tmi but apparently that's how it's transferred.... Not airborne if that's what you're worried about!

I think if you washed your hands well, and especially with the addition of washing your clothes, you'll be fine! Any time I'm not super directly exposed (like if I'm just around someone who has had it without directly having contact with them or using the same bathroom or something) I just wash my hands really thoroughly after the initial exposure and every time I'm going to make food or eat something after that. I also try to make sure I shower and sanitize anything I may have touched after contact with that person. Seems like you took the right steps to avoid catching it!

I hate when things like this happen! Your friends should have told you the daughter had v and let you make the decision whether to still visit or not.
    I doubt you will catch anything but maybe you could casually drop into conversation that if anything like this happens again could they let you know before you visit. Even non emets are wary of visiting a house with ill people!

How are you doing KNighthawk? I had something very similar happen today and am terrified I'm going to catch it.
    I went into a home where no one told me that their son was v* yesterday. I also came home showered and changed clothes. I'm very worried but I am hoping you were fine so I can try and reassure myself that I will be too.
    Although unfortunately for me I was at a makeup artists house and she was doing a practice run for a wedding. So she was touching my face. (Not my mouth thankfully).